Thread: The clever greeny link thread.

AOA Assistant Donny@ageofaquariums's Avatar
    State
    QLD
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These micro inverters are actually quite neat!
    Micro Inverters & AC Solar Panels - Are they worth it? | Solar Quotes
    I'm one of the team @ AOA! But not the boss lol. You can get in contact with Ben by email sales@aquariumproducts.com.au
    AOA is a proud sponsor of QLDAF so check us out http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au Dont forget to mention you are a QLDAF member at the register in store or in the shipping instructions to get 10% off.

State
    QLD
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aquatic Paradise likes this.
    I'm one of the team @ AOA! But not the boss lol. You can get in contact with Ben by email sales@aquariumproducts.com.au
    AOA is a proud sponsor of QLDAF so check us out http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au Dont forget to mention you are a QLDAF member at the register in store or in the shipping instructions to get 10% off.

State
    Qld
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to Soldier Fly for protein instead of beef or chicken...

Black Soldier Fly breeding

State
    QLD
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

State
    Qld
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where's the fun in eating meat if nothing had to die first!

State
    QLD
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well............ you'd have to check out how crazy the lab was first I imagine.

Anyway after the tasting the verdict was......... "a bit dry"
    its 100% muscle tissue, so no fat juices.

World's first test tube burger served up. The verdict? It's not juicy enough | Space, Military and Medicine | News.com.au

State
    QLD
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Booze.
    Its not just for fish tanks any more!

Researchers at Edinburgh Napier University have developed a biofuel that uses the two main byproducts from whiskey production: pot ale and draff. This biofuel can be used by ordinary cars without making modifications.

Though in theory, the biofuel can be used on its own, the realistic method for applying this technique would be to blend 5 or 10 percent of the product with petrol or diesel.
    Whiskey as the New*Biofuel? - InHardFocus - InHardFocus.com

State
    QLD
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

State
    QLD
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What if, instead a tombstone on our grave we'd all plant a tree on our grave?

1. That would turn all graveyards into forests. Those forests would be out of reach for all those a**holes cutting down our green sources of air and would preserve a better future for our future generations.
    2. People die, all the time, unfortunately, but that would mean that the forests will grow forever.
    3. Isn't it awesome having a tree grow out of you? Imagine yourself living as a tree for a few hundreds or even thousands years more. Your children would like going to your grave much more, it'd be in a midst of a forest and a tree rising from your (again, unfortunately) remains would be much more personal, than a cold stone.
    Don't know how many of you'd agree, but that's the way I'd like to go :)
    by Alaxel on Fri, 08/23/2013 - 7:33pm

State
    QLD
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given you only get exclusive use of the plot for 40 years the idea of you becoming old growth forest might be a little optimistic. Might be a more appropriate sentiment to think that you get absorbed by a plantation pine that in about 30 years gets sent to Ikea to become a piece of furniture. Your grandchildren can then buy you as a comfy chair to sit in whilst they reminisce on your life.

State
    QLD
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think its more that using a tree that was planted on a known human being for ikea furniture........ might one day become taboo.

State
    QLD
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

State
    QLD
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One man's OOoo chair (in the first floor apartment) is the downstairs mobile

State
    QLD
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

State
    QLD
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a news story over at Gizmodo Japan, the creative problem solvers at Osaka University announced that they have engineered a new type of “paper” that can actually generate and store energy from sunlight.

Despite being huge tech nerds and normally spending most of our day plugged in to some device or other, we at RocketNews24 are always looking for ways to reduce our carbon footprint and give the Earth a break. When electronics giant Sharp announced its semi-transparent solar panels that could one day turn our windows into sun-absorbing energy farms, we were genuinely excited, but this news from Osaka University blew our minds.

The first of its kind, this “solar energy producing paper” is a transparent material made from pulp fibres and silver “nano wires” and invisible conductors that thread through its surface, the tiny solar panel is reported to be strong and flexible as well as managing to be one of the most efficient solar energy-based energy producers to date. And since it’s made from natural materials, when it comes to the end of its life the paper can be safely and easily disposed of.

The revolutionary power source is currently scheduled to go into full production for practical use within the next three years.

We always knew that trees were vital for the survival of our planet, but we had no idea that they could one day be helping us produce safe, clean energy.

Researchers at Osaka University Create Energy-Producing “Solar*Paper” | RocketNews24

State
    QLD
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a catch 22 for you: Let's say that some trees have great genes that allow them to live for millennia and grow to be almost as big as skyscrapers, but that because they are so big, they are ideal targets for lumberjacks so they almost all get cut down (a kind of inverse natural selection -- destruction of the fittest, so to speak). The folks at the Archangel Ancient Tree Archive think this is a tragedy, and they want to try to undo the damage as much as possible by, first, creating a genetic library of as many tree "success stories" as possible (it's sometimes possible to find viable shoots coming out of the stumps of trees that have been cut down long ago!), and then cloning them to repopulate forests around the world with these proven super-trees.

Non-profit wants to clone the world&#39;s oldest trees to reforest the planet : TreeHugger

State
    QLD
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While flow battery designs are suited to storing large amounts of energy cheaply, they have previously relied on chemicals that are expensive or difficult to maintain, driving up costs.

Most previous flow batteries have chemistries based on metals. Vanadium is used in the most commercially advanced flow battery technology, but its cost is relatively high. Other variants contain precious metal catalysts such as platinum.

The researchers say their new battery already performs as well as vanadium flow batteries, but uses no precious metal catalyst and has an underlying chemistry that is metal-free, instead relying on naturally abundant, more affordable chemicals called quinones.

These water-soluble compounds are organic (carbon-based) and are similar to chemicals that store energy in plants and animals.
    BBC News - Battery advance could boost renewable energy take-up

State
    QLD
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make plastic too valuable to throw away?

I'd collect it if it got me time with an advanced 3D printer!

Plastic Bank: How to solve the plastic pollution problem and poverty at the same time | MNN - Mother Nature Network

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12