State
    qld
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Infected hand by aquarium water

Hello
    I spiked my finger with a fork I use to feed my Albino B.Ns out of there tank.The fork lives on the bottom of the tank now I have to get an operation to remove the infection stated by the fork.Has anyone else ever had an infection like this one
    Thanks Greg

State
    Qld
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How soft are your hands or is your fork razor sharp?
    Have heard of infections from salt water aquariums that have taken a long time to come right.
    BristlenoseGirl likes this.
    Mark

State
    Qld
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by discusgc View Post
    How soft are your hands or is your fork razor sharp?
    Have heard of infections from salt water aquariums that have taken a long time to come right.
    Oh crap I'm setting up a salt water tank too :p
    Skinnyman.
    I've seen some wildlife in my time... But this guys a galah.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Check out my 2ft marine cube 
    http://www.qldaf.com/forums/marine-b...tml#post345656

State
    qld
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there was a post ages ago, about a 16yr old girl in america who cut her hand on the glass of her fishtank... it got infected and the bacteria get into her hand and up her arm, permanently disfiguring and disabling..... it took experts from all across america to stop it b4 it killed her and now shes had countless operations to try and get some movement back.

its some bacteria that live in all aquariums, and its very deadly.

cant find the same news article but here is a similar one.

Flesh-Eating Fish Tank Bacteria May Lead to Teen's Amputation - ABC News
    Last edited by simmo2302; 11-11-2011 at 07:17 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pays to wash hands every time you give FOOD or do any work in you,re tanks including handling fish ect . but yer getting a cut from anything in tanks you should disinfectant your cut straight away .. & dont put a open wound in your fish tank ..

State
    qld
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No operation for now they have put me on super pills for another 2 weeks.I was puting zuccini on the fork and appling a fair bit of pressure as it was hard when the fork flew out into the first joint of my middle finger.I washed it used fries bolson and other antiseptic stuff but it still got infected.
    It can pay to be careful

State
    Qld
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how do you know it was bacteria from the tank and not bacteria living on the zucchini, the fork, or even your skin?

State
    qld
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you must have a fairly weak immune system.

years ago i was making DIY Discus dinner, i was cutting up raw beef heart, raw prawns, cooked prawns, & raw mullet when i managed to stick the knife thru my hand, literally in one side out the other. i washed it out with tap water and used tweezers myself to remove any meat that didnt belong to me, then went up the hospital for some stitches. never took an pills, never got infected.

State
    Queensland
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah paper cuts and such can take a bit longer if you are putting your hands in aquarium water. Some get a bit infected. I usually clean it out with some disinfectant and try to keep my hand out for a few days to give it time to heal. Neglecting it is not a good idea.

State
    QLD
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow simmo your immune system is amazing!

I have had a golden staph from cleaning out a sump. Took 6 months and alot of antibiotics to heal. I must be weak :(

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simmo2302 View Post
    you must have a fairly weak immune system.

years ago i was making DIY Discus dinner, i was cutting up raw beef heart, raw prawns, cooked prawns, & raw mullet when i managed to stick the knife thru my hand, literally in one side out the other. i washed it out with tap water and used tweezers myself to remove any meat that didnt belong to me, then went up the hospital for some stitches. never took an pills, never got infected.
    You freakin legend.
    You weren't singing "Always look on the bright side of life" and whistling were you?

OTHER HOBBIES MODERATOR raycam01_au's Avatar
    State
    QLD
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no i havent
    remember folks its not real

Titanium Member
    State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nether have i ? weird
    http://mowerwreckersnsw.com.au/ coming soon lol
    a project that never gets off the ground lol

State
    Queensland
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah you don't want to chance it. Especially if you have a compromised immune system as a result of for example if you are Diabetic, or have survived cancer, had a transplant (actually some conditions make it impossible to go anywhere near an aquarium) etc . I find that Lucas paw paw ointment on a cut works wonders. If I have a cut on my hand I usually use a rubber glove on that hand and tape it up so I don't get any aquarium water in the cut. It's not worth getting some of the scarier bugs that live in our tanks. You should cover up cuts and wear gloves when you garden too, all sorts of nasty stuff can get into your cuts from the soil.

State
    qld
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    funny thread really as i just come back from the docs re an infection i picked up during the floods in january when helping a lfs store to clean up. the infection on my hand is being "excised" monday arvo
    * disclaimer this post is not a declaration of war or a slap in the face. take it as it was intended in a context that is not one of a personal issue with any member or disingenuous but one based solely on my personal opinion. if you dont wish to hear my response do yourself a favour and use the ignore feature. it works well for me ;)

State
    Mighty Qld Maroons 8STR8
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never have problem before and never heard it as well but might be carefully in the futures because I always put my hand in the tank when doing water changes.
    ................African CichlidsEnthusiasts & Breeder................

State
    Queensland
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get lots of little cuts from glass but no infections to date ... Knock on wood.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1 Fish, 2 Fish, 3 Fish MORE!

State
    Mighty Qld Maroons 8STR8
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasMick View Post
    I get lots of little cuts from glass but no infections to date ... Knock on wood.
    Same, sometime I got open wound as well and still put in the fish tank but that's abit scary to know that now.
    ................African CichlidsEnthusiasts & Breeder................

State
    Queensland
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have heard of someone working on a prawn farm and they got spiked and near lost a finger. Also there was a bacteria that lives in water, call it fish tank if you will, but these things are not alien ok. they live in this wet world and are part of the natural balance. the bacteria was pumped out of a creek as irrigation for a mud football field. a few days after the game a number of people turned up to the local medical centres and they worked out the cause. the bacteria sat for x amount of time in the proper temps and was able to build up to significant counts per cubic ml. when they players had been tackled and scratched up they had not cleaned themselves up properly probably because they were not used to the extra concern that was sitting on the field that they did not know about. just a scratch? nope. not under the right conditions its not just a scratch. some had minor festies, others all down their backs, while one guy lost a toe.

Titanium Member
    State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you get a saw t hat wont heal in the normal time it takes wouldent most ppl get it checkd ?
    if i get a saw i dont like i disifect it to the point of opening it up and scrubing it ,maby im mad but hey all my cuts are sterile
    http://mowerwreckersnsw.com.au/ coming soon lol
    a project that never gets off the ground lol

State
    qld
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by liljohn_83 View Post
    if you get a saw t hat wont heal in the normal time it takes wouldent most ppl get it checkd ?
    if i get a saw i dont like i disifect it to the point of opening it up and scrubing it ,maby im mad but hey all my cuts are sterile
    i did that with mine. i tried alcohol wash, betadine, iodine, potassium permanganate and eventially antibiotics. now its "lets just cut the whole thing out and get it tested huh?". that was from a confused doctor
    * disclaimer this post is not a declaration of war or a slap in the face. take it as it was intended in a context that is not one of a personal issue with any member or disingenuous but one based solely on my personal opinion. if you dont wish to hear my response do yourself a favour and use the ignore feature. it works well for me ;)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by greeny View Post
    Hello
    I spiked my finger with a fork I use to feed my Albino B.Ns out of there tank.The fork lives on the bottom of the tank now I have to get an operation to remove the infection stated by the fork.Has anyone else ever had an infection like this one
    Thanks Greg
    bacteria lives in a tank , open cuts are more highly susceptable to infection , no different in theory , to having a cut on your hand and placing it in a bucket of feaceies, wear a glove to cover an open wound , just a common sense thing i thought

State
    qld
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After a week on the super pills the infection seems to going without an operation at this stage.After xrays ultasounds and blood tests my immune system is great there are no other nasties in the blood.It works out if you get a spike that goes down to the bone the ifection can travel along the bone and disinfectant and normal antibioctics dont always help I say just be careful.Hopefully after this coarse its gone Greg

Silver Member
    State
    Qld
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always have little cuts on my hand from working with steel and I have never thought that I could get a serious infection from putting my hand in the tank. I do wash hands after feeding/ cleaning most times but not always. I have never had a problem and been doing for couple years. Maybe just lucky but I will take more care in future.

Senior Member electric yellow cichlids's Avatar
    State
    nsw
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it could be do with how strong your immune system is......
    Last edited by electric yellow cichlids; 22-11-2011 at 03:09 PM. Reason: spelling oops
    African cichlids

State
    Qld
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If its the same infection as the guy at work. He has had It for over yr. and that's the second time his had it. And the first time he had it. It has left a sweet scare. Not to scary you but. ..........
    Clouds are there to block the sun, just don't let them block the son!

State
    Queensland
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm...I have eczema on my hands so I pretty much always have open wounds on them. I always put my hands in the tank, and I hardly ever use soap or hand washes as they can irritate my skin further.
    Haha, I'm REALLY pushing my luck aren't I? :p

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha Im the same Stef,

I have dermatatious!! haha Always open skin/cracks.. haha Makes us tougher !
    stefjane likes this.

State
    Qld
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess some of it depends on how clean you are with your tank too? Maybe some people are not meticulous in tank maintance (gravel cleaning etc) or may not do regular water changes? I tried to use gloves once in the tank, but found they filled with water even with a rubber band around the wrist - was quite funny to see really. I would also assume the ratio to people getting infections as to how many dont is quite rare? Afterall hundreds of people work in Aquarium shops etc? But I agree, it pays to be careful. I always have small cuts on my hands too and this thread has made me realise the importance of washing my hands after tank maintenance.

Senior Member electric yellow cichlids's Avatar
    State
    nsw
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ two ppl above who have eczema .... have you tried paw paw cream ? its good stuff for someone who has skin problems
    African cichlids

State
    qld
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mycobacterium. Lots of antibiotics and a sore lumpy finger.
    Come visit us at Pet City - Mt.Gravatt! Super rare fish and new club prices... You never know what we might have in our tanks! www.petcity.com.au Like us on Facebook!

State
    Queensland
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by electric yellow cichlids View Post
    @ two ppl above who have eczema .... have you tried paw paw cream ? its good stuff for someone who has skin problems
    That stuff works great for prevent lip burn, but it does nothing for my hands :(

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed.. I have a prescribed medicine.. 'Tricortone' Heals my fingers sore bits.. but i cant put it on when im going to do water changes/fish stuff.. in case i contaimate the water..