Welcome to QLD Aquarium Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.


Forum Member
  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


1 Follower

About Delapool

  • Rank
    Senior Member

Profile Information

  • Location
  • State
    Western Australia


  • Biography
    4ft planted, tropical community tank.
  • Interests
    Bike-riding, Reading.
  • Occupation
  1. Just out of interest is it in feed or a powder? I gather in feed is better but wonder if they allow for that in the powder. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. I can't find the link to see if it was what I was thinking of but since no other replies, I believe that it's bacterial and would start with triple-sulpha. New Zealand I gather can get furan 2 and I rate that the better med but not available over the counter in Australia. Melafix / pimafix I find more useful as first try / clean up infections a little. I assume you have made no changes to the tank 2 weeks ago and your water used for changes / tank water is all fine. It doesn't look like the viral ones I've seen, so that is what I'd try. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. Latest tank shot (little messy). Starting to prune everything except the swords pretty regularly now. The bolbitis seems to be getting a little more height so just trying to tame it from spreading too much and burying the crypts. Did a graph of PAR decline and it came out at about 5% bulb decay per month. Since that was on all of three readings, did another PAR reading today and it spiked back up so I give up. I need a little selfie stick or something so I can set the PAR meter at a set distance under water but parked for moment. Just looking at pictures it seems to have filled in more. I've noticed the catfish starting to have to bash their way through the plants so think it is getting pretty well filled out at substrate. 15th July 5th June 14th May. 4th April.
  4. Was the bumping actually flashing? Did you introduce anything into the tank at that time? Trying to rule out parasites - might have seen something in centre of white lump before it ruptured. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. Seems hit and miss. I had one decide after a month that it didn't like the gourami (the gourami took offence), but the rest were fine. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. I think you can get 'skimmer' internal filters if a lot of particles still near top. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. I'll kick off just so you get some replies coming in. I only have canister / hob / internal filters but have run into the same problem. From overseas threads, I've gathered that. Feeding pellets might be less messy than flakes. Packing in extra filter wool and the filter will get better after several days as it packs down. Some particles in a planted tank are normal. I take all my photos day after a clean when it looks better. Seachem clarity may help. Powerheads will shift particles but then need filter intakes in right spot to get them. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. Plus one on the increased water flow but unfortunately sounds not an option. The fish ate mine out so unfortunately no idea on how to get rid of it. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. Welcome Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. Nitrate test results are: JBL - 40ppm. API liquid/vial - 5 or 10ppm. CHEMets - 22ppm (somewhere around that). The CHEMets comes with 30 tests, after that you need to buy more. I think a photo-colour reader can be bought for them which would be useful as I had to ask the family to check the colour but significant extra cost so I think only worth while if using for a business. And for my needs there isn't that much difference between each colour standard. Using the cadmium is slightly worrying though, the powder seems easy to use but yeah, wouldn't do it drinking coffee. I've wondered for some time if my old API nitrates test kit read a bit high (almost empty but not expired) compared to the new API test kit which just feels like it reads low somewhat.
  11. Unfortunately can't help with the shrimp and dosing. The micro ferts (Cu and maybe Fe) + nitrates would be ones I suspect to go light on but this is only from reading related to fish. My java fern is the same - grows well in the display tank and gets a nasty shock trying to go to a no ferts, no CO2, moderate light betta tank. The elodea may bounce back or could just keep using cuttings from other tank I guess. At least not getting algae so just a matter of trying plants. Just looking at the java fern here and after a month it looks like it might be adjusting to the betta tank. I really need to tape off more LEDs again. You could try reducing light intensity and see if that helps. On my LED I have taped off all the blue LEDs and at least a third of the white LEDs - still a tonne of light.
  12. Looked at the new nitrate test kit - read the 'simplicity in action' header. Got up to step 3 and then got a little lost. Think I have it to try tomorrow. Takes 15 minutes just on letting different reactions and colours. Would do it over coffee but the warnings on cadmium seemed very strict so going to be very careful. Possibly gloves and face mask. Also saw this little double flower today while cleaning tank. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  13. Welcome Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. Really like the patterns! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. Seems alright off Tapatalk. In general I've noticed a decline in aquarium forums, not sure why. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk