fishfriendzzz

Issues with Resun pond pump impellers

Hi.

I have been using Resun pond pumps for a number of years, first the 5F and more recently the 6F. On the whole I've found them to be quite reliable work horses, though with some peculiarities. Over the life of these pumps they've had at least 1 impeller replacement but all have shown the same oddity. Unlike other impellers i've come across, the magnet at the base of these impellers has a fitted metal jacket. Not a bad idea at first glance, until you take into account metal wear. Compare my original 5F impeller base to a much newer, thought being replaced for unrelated reasons 6F impeller base. Over time the rounded metal jackets sheers through with both models litering the impeller chamber with metal shards. I had hoped the 6F impellers may have resolved the issue as they come with 2 extra thick hard plastic washers however I have still found metal shards. I presume both these washers are suppose to sit under the impeller? I just received a new 6F impeller today where they are both above the impeller so I'd appreciate if anyone can confirm the correct location? As for the metal sheering, am I missing something or is that a design issue? If I where cynical I might be tempted to wonder if it where to encourage periodic replacement...

post-12417-14711631814233_thumb.jpg 5F impeller

post-12417-14711631814388_thumb.jpg6F impeller

Which Donny? The laguna? I've only had my Resun 5F die, as such, but that was more than to a nasty combination of the pump being used externally, the crappy plastic clips holding the impeller chamber plate being broken and a jumbo saturated sponge pulling the assembly downwards as the water level fell drastically overnight from pond liner tipping following rain, leading to the ceramic shaft snapping, the chamber being evacuated and the metal jacket of the impeller subsequently melting onto the impeller chamber before thermal overload kicked in. so it took a lot to kill it. lol and even then, an almost suitable replacement shaft with an almost suitable replacement impeller, a good rounded file and a well placed g-clamp... went from being rated at 6500 l/hr at head height to doing 7000 l/hr! still, an easier path would be nice some days.