n5750547

What's your favorite plant?

Hello all

I want to find out what plants that you own are your favorite. Be that esthetically, because its easy and cheap to grow or even because it's hard to grow. I've got a couple of tanks I want to fill so I really want to know what people here in QLD have been able to get their hands on

Personally I really like Ludwigias, Pogestemon Stellata, stargrass and any kind of moss...

Thanks

Phil

Tapatalk Note 3

There is no easy answer. Which plants are going to survive in your setups

will depend on the tank your'e going to run and

the species of fish you're going to keep.

When I started out years ago, I bought plants I really liked,

only to find they would not grow in my tanks.

Now I have narrowed it down to 34 different species, all growing well,

so there's always surplus.

It's a matter of trial and error.

There is no easy answer. Which plants are going to survive in your setups

will depend on the tank your'e going to run and

the species of fish you're going to keep.

When I started out years ago, I bought plants I really liked,

only to find they would not grow in my tanks.

Now I have narrowed it down to 34 different species, all growing well,

so there's always surplus.

It's a matter of trial and error.

Very true. I guess what I'm hoping to do is find plants that other people like and have success with and try to replicate that when I set up my own.

I have ludwigia repens, arcuata, palustris, brevipes; pogo; val; java moss and fern; pygmy chain; crypt nevellii, wendtii; blue stricta and a few more I can't remember the names for in my current tank.

While I really like all of these, I want to try different ones which is why I want to set up a couple more tanks. Basically if you have any of those 35 which you think are a bit special I'd like to know what it is and how you're growing it. I realize this might be like picking a favorite child but I'm hoping you might have a couple you can single out.

Thanks in advance

Phil

Tapatalk Note 3

u6ejeru7.jpg

In case anyone wants to know how I keep my plants the current set up is:

4*1.5*1.5

Propagating sand/Eco-complete/gravel/root tabs for the substrate

2x30w and 1x50w LED floodlights

EI dry dosing

Angels/congos/sarpea/SAE/bristlenose and rummy nose

Tapatalk Note 3

In my three planted tanks my favs (in no order) would have to be Needle leaf and Philippine java fern, Anubias nana, peacock and flame moss and US Fissidens.

Hmm tough choice... I love all my plants :) But if I had to pick, my current favorites would be:

- hygrophila pinnatifida : because it can be grown attached to driftwood (which is how I grow mine) and it looks very nice when grown this way.

- bucephalandra red brilliant jade : because it looks very cool with its multicolored spotted leaves

- myriophyllum tuberculatum : an all-time favorite due to its look and coloration

In my three planted tanks my favs (in no order) would have to be Needle leaf and Philippine java fern, Anubias nana, peacock and flame moss and US Fissidens.

Where did you get your moss from? My LFS only ever gets java moss really

Tapatalk Note 3

Hmm tough choice... I love all my plants :) But if I had to pick, my current favorites would be:

- hygrophila pinnatifida : because it can be grown attached to driftwood (which is how I grow mine) and it looks very nice when grown this way.

- bucephalandra red brilliant jade : because it looks very cool with its multicolored spotted leaves

- myriophyllum tuberculatum : an all-time favorite due to its look and coloration

How tall does the hygrophila get? I've been thinking about getting it as it's a nice color and the leaves are a interesting shape.

Tapatalk Note 3

It depends.. when I had it growing in the substrate (2ft tall tank) it tended to grow straight up towards the light and to a height of 20cm+. Now I have it growing at various locations on driftwood about 25cm above the substrate, and it grows quite compact, and spreads via offshoots horizontally along the wood. I much prefer it this way, and it is a good alternative to the typical wood attached plants like anubias/java fern. Although it does require more lighting than those.

e. tenellus (or something like that) the dwarf chain sword. Gets some great colour when kept right, and a perfect foreground.

any of the lotus just get me into a tank.

I got a half dead madagascar sword from a store that was steadily killing it. I kept it for longer than they did, from one leaf I got to five......Then moved. Would love another crack.

Thats epic [MENTION=7848]PETFISH[/MENTION]

THANX Donny, it's my current project, dry start IWAGUMI , i'm just waiting for the jap hairgrass and micro swords up the back to grow in abit before i flood the tank.

cheers Pete...

Gotta be H.C. Atm

Very nice Pete.

Have you got the tank covered with a wrap Pete?

I found it to hard to wait for mine to carpet like that before filling and now it's struggling to spread :(

u7ahu5yr.jpg

Very nice Pete.

Have you got the tank covered with a wrap Pete?

I found it to hard to wait for mine to carpet like that before filling and now it's struggling to spread :(

u7ahu5yr.jpg

yeah Rob, covered with gladwrap, only been planted for 2-3 week's, yeah, very hard resisting the flood, but I MUST WAIT.

the reason for waiting is to get a full coverage of the HC, which also allows the roots to establish themselves into the substrate, HC requires high light to carpet well, also it needs to be trimmed fairly regularly to keep it trained as a carpet.

the reason for waiting is to get a full coverage of the HC, which also allows the roots to establish themselves into the substrate, HC requires high light to carpet well, also it needs to be trimmed fairly regularly to keep it trained as a carpet.

Emersed growing is definitely a killer way to get some good roots going. I have a couple of outdoor tubs and the roots on most of the plants are 3 or more times bigger than the plants after about 2 months. I feel pretty confident that with good roots they will have no issue switching to submerged.

Tapatalk Note 3

My faves are I think its called crested Java fern(they have a little fork on the end of the leaf), crypt wentii bronze, anubias petite/nana, I have all these, plus I really like red tiger lotus and Madagascar lace fern, both of which I don't have

While I am currently loving mini pelia and willow moss.

If I could only pick one aquarium plant, it would be elodea.

Call me a n00b.

But its a great plant!

nothing wrong with elodea