Sign in to follow this  
Shelley

Eheim Professional Canister Filter - marine questions

Anyone use this brand for a marine tank? And up to what size tank can it handle?

Would I need a second filter ? And what type of skimmer would you recommend?

We just got a 6x2x2 ft tank that I plan on putting our oscar in and was thinking of setting up my 4 ft tank into a marine tank. I'm thinking my eheim classic and jebo canisters will be enough for 1 oscar in the 6ft tank and my eheim professional plus a skimmer in the 4ft? Any thoughts?

Cheers :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

as long as your canister is big enough to run on your tank, it should be sweet, try not to have to much fine media, id put some marine pure, (carbon if you want), and what ever else you please. thats what i did. and remember, you will have to clean your canister every fortnight. with skimmers, dont buy aqua one, there cheap for a reason lol. from what ive heard, jns is a really good brand, ive also been told to spend that extra on a skimmer as its the heart of your tank.

Thanks for those tips Michael and Brittany :-)

Donny, at this stage I only have a few on my list...

Clown fish

Black and white ocellaris clown fish

Blue and yellow tang

Shrimp, snails

Moorish idol? If it will get along with the above?

Not sure what else at the moment, still have some work to do on the other tank, then once my 4ft is empty and I'm ready to begin set up I'll look into a couple more species then. Just a 'basic' reef, nothing too hard to keep as I am just a beginner :-)

Please dont get the Moorish idol until you have plenty of experience.

A banner fish could be a good substitute.

Many of the shrimp will require a chiller or air con, come summer.

A 4 foot tank is not really suitable for more than one tang long term.

not saying it cant work, but that it might not.

Having more than 2 clowns is usually drama too. Not always, but usually.

Clown fish are a good start.

Do you have an idea on the way you want to scape the tank?

Some scapes lend themselves to certain fish.

Everyone is going to give you different advice.

Its strange when you start out, but you get used to it.

Theres no one way to do marine aquariums.

Just safer paths...... and others that are much less so.

:)

Not yet, still trying to determine whether or not my eheim pro can do the job. Since I already have that I am going to give it a go and if it doesn't work out then I'll set up a sump.

Not sure what chiller brand to get so any recommendations is more than welcome. I don't want to connect it to my eheim pro if I can help it. I'm wondering if I can use an internal filter for the chiller?

Rest assured, I have plenty of patience and won't be adding any fish or coral until I am completely satisfied with the tech and everything is running smoothly. I will be taking my time researching everything. Budget won't be an issue but in saying that I'm not going to go out and buy the most expensive equipment either.

Ok I'll just try to go with the easiest to keep to begin with.

I realise I will be limited on numbers due to tank size and don't want to risk over crowding. I'll just start with the clown fish and then slowly add to it :-)

I do like the banner fish so I'll get one of those instead of the moorish then and maybe just one tang then and leave it at that.

Is it better to get coral first then the fish or vice versa?

Cheers Donny.

Still wondering if there is anyone on here who is currently running a marine tank using eheim pro canister? :-) would love to hear your experiences.

Cheers.

Sign in to follow this