Sign in to follow this  
buck

starting ponds up

I have recently come in to some ponds, three 1000L ( 1mx1mx1m) and two 80cm round 2m tall unused septic tanks.

I’ve cut the septic tanks in half and now have two 500l (.80x 1m) ponds. I want to use the top sections too but I need to put a liner in as its open at both ends and has a couple of 200mm holes cut for what was the display pipes for the tank. I’m thinking about using pond liner but it’s an awkward shape, I’m guessing ill need to get the liner made to fit if I want a reasonably clean look.

I intend on getting some 50% ( would be persuaded to get a higher % if others have had success with it) shade cloth as a cover so I can still grow plants and cover the top from birds leaves and escape artests.

Does anyone have any experience getting liners made to shape or D.I.Ying it ? I’ve seen there’s pond liner tape to join it together so I guess if I planed it out right I could make it work with that.

I’m aiming to use the ponds as grow outs for Rhads and rainbows maybe some honey blue eyes, and a pond will be used for gudgens (feeders). I’ve got a few tanks for selective breeding indoors ( 2x2ft 2x2.5 & a 3ft). so when the weather warms up it should be all set up and game time!

Ill post some pics of my progress soon…

DSC_0034.jpg

So with spring fast approaching I finally pulled my finger out and got my ponds in sorted. I can’t wait to get some rhads, blue eyes and bows in them.

post-9288-14711632232381_thumb.jpg

The 3 main ponds have been cleaned and are now in position and filled with water

post-9288-14711632232459_thumb.jpg

The 2 smaller ponds have been filled for a while now and I dropped some duck weed in them

post-9288-14711632232225_thumb.jpg

And a group shot of all the ponds... i should really knock those weeds down, eh

Edited by buck

No, the 3 big ones are 1000L and will only have smallish. fish in them, they will have some plants in them. I've thought about dropping some big sponge filters in But that will only happen if the water changes can't keep up with the bio load or if I think they need aeration.

Edited by buck

That’s exactly how I’m doing it to just waiting for the mozzies to start breeding then you know it’s safe for fish and there’s some start up food in there! I think I’ll hang my plants (thin val) from the sides in pots and as it grows ill lower it down. I’m worried it wouldn’t get enough light if i plonk it down the bottom straight away.

As for water changes ill just be over filling them every now and then :)

Sign in to follow this