Hey guys,

As you know I like finding different Central American cichlids of the smaller size I.e. Less then 20cm

I was watching a doco on YouTube and saw these amazing guys.

hypsophrys nematopus also known as the poor mans trophous. 9ava9y5a.jpg

I would really like to know if these guys are even available in Australia?

I want!

Regards,

Nathan

Barcoo Grunters FS

Rainbow Cichlid fry FS

99 dc4 gsi FS

Inbox me

Yeah mate

they are around, not sure if im thinking the same thing...

i know them by Neetroplus nematopus, hence the common name "neet(s)"

they are around pretty rare though, they come up time to time on petlink

scale for scale (see what i did there?) they are in my opinion the most agressive central american

if you cant find them and want something similar

just go for hypsophrys nicaraguensis

hypsophrys_nicaraguensis_6.jpg

coolest thing about them is the teeth....

I will check their teeth out.

So these guys are fairly aggressive?

If I do track them down, they'll be housed with sajicas, t.meekis, t.ellioti and multispinosus.

I just want to have the weird and wonderful smaller Central Americans. Everyone seems to think of Americans as the bigger fish that require a tank to themselves because they are so aggressive.

Barcoo Grunters FS

Rainbow Cichlid fry FS

99 dc4 gsi FS

Inbox me

If I do track them down, they'll be housed with sajicas, t.meekis, t.ellioti and multispinosus.

I just want to have the weird and wonderful smaller Central Americans. Everyone seems to think of Americans as the bigger fish that require a tank to themselves because they are so aggressive.

probably the one word that suits this fish... aggressive.

Barcoo Grunters FS

Rainbow Cichlid fry FS

99 dc4 gsi FS

Inbox me

personally i wouldnt, that is only from personal experience.

i've had one of these guys take down a male salvini twice the size, going back a few years now.

i honestly wouldnt trust it with those. include these guys in the others that are agressive.

personally i wouldnt, that is only from personal experience.

i've had one of these guys take down a male salvini twice the size, going back a few years now.

i honestly wouldnt trust it with those. include these guys in the others that are agressive.

I won't then, I will continue my search on the weird and wonderful smaller c.americans lol

Thanks mate =]

Barcoo Grunters FS

Rainbow Cichlid fry FS

99 dc4 gsi FS

Inbox me

I breed them in a separate tank to themselves and certainly would not put anything thing else in with them

Males if breeding will even have a go at me

Let me know next time you have fry FS pls. I've been looking for a while

FJ

If I do track them down, they'll be housed with sajicas, t.meekis, t.elliot and multispinosus.

lol the t.meeki and t.elliot would be sooo dead sooo fast.

You dont put a poser in with an actual MMA cage fighter XD

I kept these guys pretty extensively in the 90's. At one stage I had a colony in a 5 ft tank with firemouths and texas cichids. These fish co-existed fine until the Neet's decided it was breeding time, then they would aggressively chase all fish from their end of the tank including the much larger Texas cichlids. I have also kept them in ones or two's in various cichlid set ups including one time where I had 2 males in a tank with real Tropheus and mostly things went fine.

I did not find them any more aggressive than some other central american's such as the Convict as an example, however, if they decide to mate then they will defend their territory vigorously against all comers regardless of size.

Barry, personally I would not keep a group of Neet's in with the cichlids you have listed above, however one or 2 of the same sex might be fine.

Neet's are a great little cichlid but give them their own tank if keeping multiples. Singles in a mixed tank are no worse than a Convict, Jack Dempsey or range of other Central American Cichlids.

I am like you and like the smaller to medium centrals better than the larger ones

Edited by tumbo

they are around, not sure if im thinking the same thing...

i know them by Neetroplus nematopus, hence the common name "neet(s)"

I just did a little research on their taxonomic history and found that they have only ever been included in the Neetroplus genus (and never in another genus such as Hypsophrys.) Funnily enough though, Hypsophrys nicaraguensis was included in the Neetroplus genus back in the very late 1800's, which is probably the confusion began for the OP's source.

I just did a little research on their taxonomic history and found that they have only ever been included in the Neetroplus genus (and never in another genus such as Hypsophrys.) Funnily enough though, Hypsophrys nicaraguensis was included in the Neetroplus genus back in the very late 1800's, which is probably the confusion began for the OP's source.

i can see where people would start to categorise them as being hypsophrys, having the similar body structure and requirements and not to mention spawning habbits.

Looking into dithers for these guys and giant danios or silver dollars seem to be the go.

I was thinking maybe tinfoil barbs as they might be a bit tougher to have chunks taken out of.

I'm loving these little guys. Got a group of 6 growing up with a white convict and some spotted dollars in a 5x3x2. Tank is big so no aggression issues. Once they pair up I'll move the pair into a 48"x18"x18"

post-314-14711632055881_thumb.jpg

Anyone got some of these for sale? I last had some in the 90s that I got from cichlid king in Toowong. Great fish pretty cool how they would switch colour when they changed moods.