Wondering if we will need to put support beams along the bottom of our 6x2x2, which has 6 legs on the stand, to even out the weight as our house is on stumps. Scared it will break through our floor. I estimate our tank will weigh at least 600 kg once filled. Any thoughts/tips?

Also going to enclose the area underneath, will share progress pics as we go.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a 6x2x2 will hold 600-650kg's of water let alone the glass, gravel/ sand, ornaments and the

stand aswell. Starts to get alot closer to the 1tonne mark :D

If you put a board on the floor (4x2 lengths of pine for example) that'll spread the load no worries. Try and place along the joists.

The water will weigh about 620kg, plus the tank, plus the gravel/rocks ect so ... depends what u put in it. ie, if u were to plant it up you could ad another 120-200kg :)

All depends on how it is made.

6 legs would be enough to support a 6x2x2.

My old 6x2x2 was supported by 4 16mm gables.

So it comes down to how it is constructed.

Throw up a photo.

Yeah I'll be adding rocks and an old tree stump. It will only have 1 oscar so no plants cause it's a waste of time lol he just shreds them to pieces.

Think we will put a steel frame for the bottom but the OH has a welder and can make it but thanks for the lead Brenton 

I'm still going to be so nervous filling it lol

Edited by Shelley

All depends on how it is made.

6 legs would be enough to support a 6x2x2.

My old 6x2x2 was supported by 4 16mm gables.

So it comes down to how it is constructed.

Throw up a photo.

Miscounted, has 8 legs...

4a9e6ana.jpg

Looks ok. You'll want it running parallel to the floor boards.

That way it is crossing over the max amount of floor joists.

If you can get the legs sitting where the nails are even better.

There is alot more than just sitting it over the joists. It depends on bearer size and span/floor joist span and size, if its against an external wall which is load bearing for your roof or internal walls which may not have roof load. Are your timber stumps in good conditions that extra weight can make a difference

Pack a sheet of marine ply or pvc board under to cover as much over the joist and if under a load bearing would be beter ,

Over time you may even find your floor has sagged, ull need to prop from under then!

7yhymagy.jpg

Everything is steel, support beams 20inches apart so I'm confidant with a steel base built and marine ply on the bottom to distribute the weight evenly it should be right, it will sit across about 5 of the steel house beams, along an external wall. Getting the steel in a couple of weeks, already have a sheet of marine ply 😊

Anyone know a good place in Toowoomba to get a hood made at a reasonable price please pm me. Cheers.

I should say floor joists are 20 inches apart, stumps and joists are all steel the tank will span out over about 4-5 joists.

Pack a sheet of marine ply or pvc board under to cover as much over the joist and if under a load bearing would be beter ,

Over time you may even find your floor has sagged, ull need to prop from under then!

agreed, get a piece of ply

Thanks, yeah will be using ply under the steel support frame. Will post updates and pics as we go. Not as worried now that I realise the whole structure underneath the house is steel. I knew our stumps were steel but thought the joists were wood but glad they are steel.

May even pay to seal around the edge of sheet to the floor , and where the legs meet the sheet. Last thing you want is water under causing mould or rot and a funny smell.