shawry74

First Attempt at DSM Tank

After about a month of getting everything together to start my first DSM (Dry Start Method) tank I am finally underway.

First of all I would like to thank John [MENTION=1338]The Tech Den[/MENTION], [MENTION=9246]Donny@ageofaquariums[/MENTION] and [MENTION=7848]PETFISH[/MENTION] for helping put all this together.

Having set up a few tanks in my time, I wanted to take the time and set one up without jumping in head first. I know that some of us, rush in and set up fast (guilty as charged), but I wanted to take the time, to make sure, everything is right. So let the journey begin.

Initially, I was going to use my stock standard 2Lx1.5Hx1Wft tank which had little depth. But after a visit to the tech den, I saw a perfect tank, which suited my needs with a bit more depth. Less volume, but more suitable to my needs. So after a little bit of indecisiveness I decided to purchase the tank.

The tank has a volume of 70L and will be set up Iwagumi style with HC. On completion of DSM, the tank will house CRS.

Filtration for this tank will be an Eheim 2213, lighting is a Kessil A150WE Amazon Sun and an Ista C02 reg and solenoid (1lt) with reactor.

Substrate is a combination of Benbachi Fluvic and Mr aqua soil.

After a little umming and ahhing (I wasn't going to stain) I decided to stain and varnish the stand in black to match the substrate.

Here is the tank before staining.

fnzj7GE.jpg

And after...with the light set-up.

2Mvg0Tu.jpg

Next, the substrate, rocks and HC added...

FwuEqSw.jpg

Then, let the DSM begin....

HKO7kE4.jpg

Will post updates and pics as time passes by.

Thanks for looking and let me know if I can improve in any way.

Cheers

Edited by shawry74

lookin good so far, nice job youve done on the staining of the cabinet.:clap2:

now comes the hard part of waiting for the plant to grow in, but be patient, it is worth the wait, :amen:

Edited by PETFISH

Which type of rock have you used ?

Tank looks GREAT you've done a lovely job all round..

We sell it [MENTION=1338]The Tech Den[/MENTION] ,it's called Seiryu stone [MENTION=6988]th3f0rg0t3n[/MENTION]

Edited by PETFISH

lookin good so far, nice job youve done on the staining of the cabinet.:clap2:

now comes the hard part of waiting for the plant to grow in, but be patient, it is worth the wait, :amen:

Thanks for the comment PETFISH (by the way, great work on the build).

I am really happy with how the staining went. I was hesitant as my previous attempts have been pretty ordinary, as I used the combined stain and varnish.

This time I bought them separate and applied with a sponge brush and achieved the desired effect.

After the completion of the DSM I am going to also add some Eleocharis Belem (dwarf hair-grass) which I believe looks really good.

Due to the shallowness of the tank, I will only be using dwarf plants.

I know it's going to hard to wait but I definitely prepared to be patient with this.

Which type of rock have you used ?

Tank looks GREAT you've done a lovely job all round..

Thanks for the positive comments th3f0rg0t3n.

It is a combination of the rocks that PETFISH mentioned and Tibetan Mountain Rock from AoA.

Looks great with the dark substrate.

Sorry for lack of updates, have been really busy with the EKKA. In fact I am working here right now, looking after power for the night show.

I hit a hurdle with mould/fungus on the HC and decided to flood at the 5 week mark.

Still having issues with BBA, so am now trying a 3 day blackout to try and get rid of the algae.

I will try to post new photos on the wend.

Cheers

So I have finally found the time to update this thread and I know it has been a long time coming.

This tank has been a labour of love and is still no where near where I want it to be yet.

I will eventually add some CRS and CBS as soon as everything is under control (especially the algae issues), which I am trying to combat with little success.

The blackout I tried a couple of weeks ago didn't make much of a difference, so today I have tried to spot dose with Glutaraldchyde from The Tech Den (thanks John). Will see how this goes....fingers crossed!

Since the last post I have also added some mopani wood and an aquael heater (which I totally recommend).

Also, I don't want to add any more plants, until the algae issue is sorted.

Have added an updated pic to share.

Cheers

a7qGPAN.jpg

Forgot to add that I am also trying the ADA Green Brighty Step 1 to assist with better HC growth.

Edited by shawry74

Looking Great! I can't wait to see it grown out.

I had some big issues with BBA for a while and tried using Prime on it (which kill its very quickly espically in the open air) and Glutaraldchyde. I tried longer light cycles and shorter light cycles, adjusting ferts both up and down, but it just kept coming back. My solution was to throw in some siamese algae eaters. They did an amazing job at sorting out the issue.

After a couple of months of trying to get things right I think that I am finally on the right track so I have decided to post a long awaited update.

Well, my first attempt with HC was a complete and utter disaster, so I decided to start again and bought a couple of pots from a LFS.

This time I left them in the pot so they could adapt better to the tank conditions, which proved to be an easier move after the algae breakout during the DSM.

Since then I have also added some Peacock moss, US Fissiden, Mini Pellia, Pearl moss and a Trident Java fern. Will be soon trying to add some Flame moss, but as you can see I am fast running out of room!

Anyway, I am only dosing with ADA green brighty lights (specifically for the HC) and EasyCarbo. Have also added ADA iron bottom and multi bottom to the substrate.

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Pc6qamv.jpg

8q7l5Qf.jpg

UoJEUba.jpg

pL3AYb5.jpg