Sign in to follow this  
Fishboy28

Betta Tank Question

Hey guys, I am interested in purchasing a lovely half moon betta and was just wondering about tank sizes. I currently have an empty 20 gallon tank (60cm long x 45 cm high x 30 cs wide) and was just wondering if this tank is too high for a betta? I have read that bettas can't live in high fish tanks, so I would like to know your opinions of this myth. I can purchase a smaller tank; however, i want to give the fish as much room as it deserves. Thanks in advance guys!

Or don't fill it up all the way..use plants that grow out of the water and have more of a riverbank look...no need to change the tank...just go shallower and make it unique and sexy...drift wood pieces sticking out of the water some lillies...can see it now :eyebrows:36637-your-tanks-live-plants-homemade-backgrounds-plants-growing-out-low-water-tank.jpg

So long as he has somewhere to rest near the top it will be fine. Eg, tall plants, on top of a filter etc. 45cm isn't too bad I shouldn't think. That 1/2 submerged tank would be so awesome.

Actually I did have a female fighter in my 3ft tank which is 45cm high for quite a while (about a month; it was my sisters and someone smashed its tank so I took it for a while) and the only problem was that she didn't appreciate the flow of the filters much nor the forced tank mates. But in terms of getting air, she was fine, and she would sit near the top on the internal filter (mostly behind it really, between the 2 rows of suction cups). I'm sure you won't have those problems since the tank will be tailored to the fighter. So yeah, it should be no problem at all.

Edited by GrandLocomon
remembered relevant anecdote

Woah! That tank is awesome! Thanks very much golden and grand! What I want to know is why can't they live in high tanks? Do they get exhausted if they have to keep swimming from top to bottom?

Hey Fishboy28, just make sure you have a heater in the tank over winter, and have good lids on the tank. Bettas breath air at the surface of the water and like to breath humid air, so leaving a gap between the water surface and the lids is preferred. As grandlocomon said, make sure you have some plants or something for the betta to rest on, some preferably near the surface. Some halfmoons can find it difficult to swim when they get older, with their heavy fins. A basic sponge filter is all you need for filtration, as many bettas don't like a lot of water movement.

Thanks so much pk333! I have it running empty at the moment with a medium sized sponge filter and a heater. I have a hood on top, however, it has a gap towards the back. I may just have to purchase a new tank, perhaps one that is longer rather than higher. There is alot of discussion about the ideal size of bettas. What size do you guys think I should get? I am thinking around a ten gallon to ensure it has more than enough room. Is this too excess, or is it perfect? Thanks so much for you information :)

I reckon the more room the better but hey a little guy might be hard to find in a 4x2 :peep: just my opinion :eek: but I think 5 litres is a decent minimum..they can live in less but im sure a little "big" pond makes them even happier....and I used to be a fan of the almond leaves..I find they keep the tank mighty nice for the little guys...I had some betta macrostoma(little group fo 4 or 5) in a 4fter about 1/3rd filled with lots of almond leaves some banana lillies and driftwood and they were very happy little guys(n gals!)

SAM_0351_zps61e11472.jpg

If it's a fancy Halfmoon betta, it doesn't need a large swimming area. As they age, some become lethargic because of their large finage and prefer to lay on leaves near the surface of the water. They will still be active at times, but don't need a large tank. A 30cm cube tank will be more than enough room for a single male Halfmoon. Just remember, they can also tear their fins on some plants and other ornaments in the tank, so think carefully about what you put in the tank.

Oh! That's fantastic news! Thanks so much pk333 :D I am thinking of silk material plants, but do you recommend any ornaments? Maybe some driftwood such as in your picture? Thanks so much :)

At one point there I was raising betta fry in full IBC. Off an on, I had adults in IBC as well, just as a mozzie control.

Thats 100 cm deep water, and I never had any drama.

As long as water is oxygenated its not so bad.

The certainly do like to lounge on leaves close to the surface though.

Oh awesome news :D :D Thanks heaps Donny! I am thinking of using this tank; however, I will be dropping the water level lower and putting in some driftwood with some leaves near the surface :) Could you guys suggest some plants that I could use? Thanks again guys!

I know that fear, having dropped even more than that on betta before.

The trick IMHO with betta is just to nail the basics.

Heres how I do it, but theres plenty of other successful routines.

chemistry -> 0ppm ammonia, oppm nitrite and a temperature of no less than 25degreesC. I like to add some indian almond leaf to the new water.

nutrition -> high quality pellets (Atison's Betta Pro or thera A spectrum) combined with the odd small bit of defrosted green pea and as a treat some live or frozen mozzie larvae.

compatability -> no other fish, as they can bring in disease.

oh and try not to buy old fish.

You want something young and active.

They will get old in the end

but you want them young at the start!

Spend some time to make sure they are free of velvet.

As thats really hard to cure in betta.

Sign in to follow this