lizardwizard

Best place to source fish for breeding?

Hi Guys, I'm new to the whole breeding scene but keen to get into breeding a few different cichlids. I've owned cichlids for the past 6-7 years but only in community tanks and all were sourced from local pet stores only.

I live in Gladstone ( approx 550k's north of Brisbane ). I am chasing suppliers, private or otherwise that i can source either breeding colonies or fish i can raise to breeding colonies that will ship to Gladstone or are near by ( i don't mind driving a few hours if need be ).

I have done a fair bit of research online but most suppliers i can find do not ship.

Look forward to getting to know a few people going foreward and any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Couple people who will be able to help you out are [MENTION=4423]steveandjules[/MENTION] as well as the "Fish Breeders" Facebook page. But Steve is a top bloke and you shouldn't need to go past him honestly ;) best of luck! It's an exciting and challenging path your taking haha

What species are you looking at breeding?

I can source from a few different bloodlines around the Gold Coast and send a box up.

And if you get a box from Steve as well you should have a good mix of quality bloodlines.

Hey Dave,

Im in gladstone & regularly get fish up from Bris. Run my own home based aquarium business....look up Dan's Fish n Bits(web or facebook).

Send me a pm, i'll let ya know what i've got and can get and see what we can do.

Thanks for the mention [MENTION=4423]steveandjules[/MENTION]

Cheers

Dan

Best off buying in bulk and getting your fish from ^^^^^^ DFishKeeper (Doug) ^^^^^ if he has the time to send some fish up too you. Quality is superb and price follows. Plenty of big breeders chase his lines anyways so why not just buy from the source. I'm proud to have some of Doug's old colonies or brought in bulk to make a colony. Quality sells in this hobby.

Are [MENTION=4423]steveandjules[/MENTION] and [MENTION=504]Fish Breeders[/MENTION]s the same people ?

hahaha that's funny, yes we are the same people, but my half lives in brissy and his half lives in sunny coast, each half has his own wife, but the sunny coast half has kids, while my half doesn't, only step kids, sometimes we even visit each other, and sometimes we even visit places together,

[MENTION=7637]yellows[/MENTION] i'd love to know who told you that,

[MENTION=504]Fish Breeders[/MENTION] is a very well know and long time african breeder who has been helping me set up my fish room and and has also supplied me 70% of my fish, he has also been sharing as much of what he knows about africans that he can, he also ships all my fish when needed,

myself until about 18 months ago bred nothing but bn, which i still do a little of,

fish breeders is my mentor and very good friend, but we aren't the same person, but we do run a face book group together and we also sell each others fish,

^^^^^^ DFishKeeper (Doug) ^^^^^ if he has the time to send some fish up too you. Quality is superb and price follows.

totally agree with you, [MENTION=57]DFishkeeper[/MENTION] has some stunning africans, we have his yellows, red hongi, maingaino and parallelus, and i know there are heaps of breeders who have built their colonies of dougs hard work,

TOP GUY, TOP FISH,

[MENTION=156]hareysfish[/MENTION] is in Gladstone also

totally forgot about scott, also a great breeder, i bought my first africans from him about 7 or 8 years ago, one of the very few guys who i found when living in Mackay who took the time to ship his fish,

Sorry about that [MENTION=4423]steveandjules[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1378]Fish[/MENTION] Breed I thought you's were the same person from what I'd heard around the trap's and then I seen something on gumtree and facebook and thought you were all one

Sorry about that [MENTION=4423]steveandjules[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1378]Fish breeders[/MENTION] I thought you's were the same person from what I'd heard around the trap's and then I seen something on gumtree and facebook and thought you were all one

:noidea: just goes to show how rumours can get around and how traps can be so wrong, you need to find new traps mate :rofl:

no harm done, we do work closely together at times so i guess if you don't know us personally you might come up with the idea we are 1 person, :lol::beer:

theres also a decent group of people in rocky myself [MENTION=1698]trofius[/MENTION] [MENTION=10009]esto[/MENTION] [MENTION=1771]chalky[/MENTION] are only a couple.

totally agree with you, [MENTION=57]DFishkeeper[/MENTION] has some stunning africans, we have his yellows, red hongi, maingaino and parallelus, and i know there are heaps of breeders who have built their colonies of dougs hard work,

TOP GUY, TOP FISH,

I must agree as well I have Doug's kingsizei that I'm building a colony out of and his fish are starting to color up perfectly. I've also picked up some of his yellows through someone else to add to my yellow colony and they are top notch as well.

:noidea: just goes to show how rumours can get around and how traps can be so wrong, you need to find new traps mate :rofl:

no harm done, we do work closely together at times so i guess if you don't know us personally you might come up with the idea we are 1 person, :lol::beer:

post-5203-14711631934483_thumb.jpg its [MENTION=447]fishbreeder[/MENTION]s African cousin :)

[MENTION=156]hareysfish[/MENTION] is in Gladstone also

Scott is great, has some very nice fish.

If ya go see him take a 6pack of xxxx bitters.

Literally Lives just around the corner from me.

Its kinda hard to give a definitive answer for. It really depends on what species you are after more than anything else.

Have you got a shortlist of sorts?