Crushed NLS Thera, Ocean Nutrition Spirulina flakes & Ocean Nutrition Veg flakes, TTD Brine Shrimp flakes, crushed algae discs (bulk from my LFS, my Trophs chase each other like dogs with bones over them lol). Any other quality foods I get on occasion can be part of the mix but I always have the above as my staples.

Crush all that in a powder for my really new fry (minus the super high protein ON Spirulina Flake & TTD Brine Shrimp Flake for my Trophs, they get substituted with a high veg content Spirulina Flake). Got 3 containers with diff "grades" of crushed food sizes mixed to feed as they grow (helps with slow growing tangs, 1-2-3months to grade up in food size rather than a couple weeks with most other cichlids).

Once they outgrow the "powders" then the crushed mixes, I just feed 2-3 diff things per day crushed/broken up size appropriate.

Also live BBS once or twice a week in winter, more frequent in summer, then frozen stuff as they grow big enough, Brine Shrimp, Mysis, Black Mozzie Larvae, White Mozzie Larvae, Marine Green & a few other goodies when they pop up down here.

Gotta get some live blackworm again so I can breed a tank full of the good lil grubs :)

Never realised they were so hard to find now, used to be able to scoop some sand outta my old Fire Red Agassizii tank & get enough to feed 2-3 tanks from a single cup of sand. When the Apistos died a few years ago I shut down the tank & gave all the blackworms (3+ coffee cups full of em) to a mate. Really keen to get some again as they thrived in a clean tank & most of your other live worm feeders need dirty, smelly water/tanks.

Have to go on a hunt up the coast I think, surely one of the many GC shops should have some?

few of my personal menu items would be Sera Flora flakes,NLS Growth,Live brine,Hikari algae wafers...and some bloodworm/blackworm at later stages depending on the fish variety and intent...the live food is a winner hands down(if suitable)...like live brine,mosquito larvae etc...

Edited by goldenswimmers

Crushed shori at least 3 times a day, until fry are big enough to take 1mm spectrum pellets, and then 1mm spectrum pellets twice a day until they are up to sale size.

Keep temp at 25 degC and nitrates below 40ppm. Used coral sand to prevent pH crash from amount of waste and co2 from heavy stocking.

Lots of oxyegenation, but not too much current for them to swim against.

Kinda weird not having any fry growing out at the moment....... not sure I am even allowed on this thread anymore.

I literally have 1 female peacock.

P1060102_zpsf0d6a17d.jpg

Sweet thanks Al

Will go for a lil fish shop tour next wknd ;)

I go to GC Pet Centre @ Burleigh for most of my frozen fish foods as Tweed & Murbah shops don't have stuff like Mysis & Black or White Mozzie etc. but every time I've remembered to ask while @ GC Pet they've had no live blackworm but have said they get it in sometimes.

Donny what happened to the Peacock production line? I remember when I first joined there were threads bout your peacocks everywhere & now...

Only one girl what happened? Just a leftover or a bit of Highlander action between the females huh? THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

Sold off all the girls, just kept a single one that looked interesting.

Taking a break to enjoy having tanks full of pretty fish, rather than 1 pretty one and 50 drab females.

Also having adults is so much less effort. No sponge filters to clean weekly. Can go away for a week end and fish are right for 2 days with no tucker.

Plus its nice to have time to keep a few tanks looking good, rather than just maintaining 50.

Lets me play around and try out new things, rather than get stuck in ground hog day.

That and having to do a few house moves.

Finally hurt my back, so scaling down to a few tanks kinda got forced on me.

Even if in the process of scaling down...... I increased the main display size nicely.

I really want to get back into breeding goldfish.

Thats something I have missed doing for years.

All that said...... I am about to get a mixed horde of mollies.

You cant escape the fry forever!

escalated-quickly-002-03062014_zpse133b987.jpg

Edited by Donny@ageofaquariums

My basic brain pattern nowadays :eyebrows:

^^Nice, I know what you mean (the nice looking tank bit). Love breeding my Tangs but can't have many plants, also parents with lots of fry in tank = lil bit messy so I gave in to the "pretty tank" urge & now have a 300L 4ft in my bedroom with 5 young Discus, 11 (soon to be 6-7 maybe, kinda likin the horde effect at feed time with 11 lol) OH Tapajos Geos from Ozmo, 4 Borellii imports & 3 Farlowella cats. Eventually will be a 4x2 or 5x2 to give more room to the Geos once they're bigger & might breed the Borellii in the future but this is just for me to enjoy looking at & playing with the very interactive & cocky lil discus :)

Goldfish are underrated, not a huge fan myself but they certainly don't get the respect they deserve (nor the space they need >x<). Helped plenty of family & (older) friends to get their Goldies happy & healthy (& breeding on occasion ;D).

I'm thinkin bout tinkering with Koi myself, my mum had some really nice ones when I was a kid & I know of a couple peeps down in Coffs who could hook me up with some nice lines. Maybe setup a lil Aquaponics veggie patch with the Koi pond, supplement a lil of the $$$ I'll be dropping into em lol

Hope you've got some hungry fish that like tasty Molly fry otherwise you'll wind up cleaning excess tanks again, friggin horny live bearers lol

Edited by BigPete86

I really miss my koi, but thats the best thing about living in NSW lol.

Here in QLD goldfish are the only option.

Thing is though, you can have a big goldfish display and its very cheap to run.

No heating or chilling or even need for powerful lights.

If you dont over stock, even the water changes arent too bad and with efficient big canisters you get low running cost + good amount of time between cleaning them.

Even really high end good quality tailored food for them is reasonable $'s in bulk amounts

Plus I already have 2 beasts that I just aint ever gonna get rid of....... the fact they are a fertile pair has pretty much sealed my fate lol

IMG_3284_xgaplus.jpg

[MENTION=2649]goldenswimmers[/MENTION] just wow. srsly. just wow!

Hurry up and breed them,

I only know off three people with these and none are selling lol.

Cheers mick

They breed all the time, its raising fry thats the bit I aint doing........ well ok I raised some and kept one...... but that was more just proof of concept.

Wait a second........ this thread is a trap

I see whats going on lol

39100214_zps3f7f86b4.jpg

Hurry up and breed them,

I only know off three people with these and none are selling lol.

Cheers mick

if i'm not on that list of 3, make it 4, :eyebrows: but not sure i have a pair unless you call 2 a pair,

post-4423-14711631973631_thumb.jpg

post-4423-14711631973794_thumb.jpg

back to the question, i've just started testing a new fry food from [MENTION=3956]AquaholicsOnline[/MENTION], it seems to be doing a great job, tiny fry smash it, so that's a good start,

back to the question, i've just started testing a new fry food from [MENTION=3956]AquaholicsOnline[/MENTION], it seems to be doing a great job, tiny fry smash it, so that's a good start,

and that food would be ??????? :noidea:

im using that too. been trying it on everything. the fry love it. guppies dont mind it when they figure out they can eat it. some bigger cichlids seem to like it. very fine tho and seems to go along way

Just for you Pete :eyebrows:

premium-butterfly-koi2.jpg

and had to do a goldy :eyebrows:

22a1ed0245c093ffc9ec73b7ac160b99.jpg

Damn dude! Where is that beauty from? Please tell me someone in Aus is breeding a line like that!!!

I always loved the whites & silvers but that thing is spectacular!!!

Any chance of a side on shot to see the side patterning of that koi?

Damn swimmers, why would you do that to me??? Been holding back on research & pic hunting, didn't wanna get too carried away too quick but now... Was gonna be a slow project but after seeing that pic things might accelerate a little!!!

... no fussing around like Brine Shrimp and no power needed.

That's why I use ON Instant BBS. No hassle or fuss and just as good IMO.