Anthony93

Interested in salt water setup

Hi my partner and I have been looking at salt water setups and we are interested in doing one ourselfs. Just not sure where we should begin as we have never had any experience in saltwater setups.

We don't know anything about them, so we were wanting to know of all the info that would be needed for us to start as bigginers and also the costs that would be involved and also time and maintenance required.

I am not sure. My partner says she wants a ray and port Jackson shark but don't know how much they are and how big of a tank they need. Other wise a happy friendly marine setup with mixes of nice colours. Don't know to much lol

Well with a stingray and port Jackson I don't know if they can have coral but yes would like coral.

I have a 4x2x2 which I will be upgrading to a 6x2x2 for my red devil so looking at a 4x2x2 salt water tank no bigger for us as bigginers.

Cost wise we would like to slowly and gradually get more things once the tank is setup and running. But just want to make sure that we can afford to do a marine setup before we go ahead.

IMHO a 4x2x2 is too small for a stingray or a port jackson.

You cant afford to skimp on tech for either of those species either.

A marine tank doesnt have to be super expensive, an aproximate start off budget to convert your 4X2X2 to marine will help me reccomend some species/equipment.

You have the tank, I imagine a stand as well. What other equipment?

I am only asking so many questions, so we can build up a picture of what you want.

Yeah I said the same to my partner that I don't think we could afford and fit the ray and shark in a 4x2x2 lol

I have the 4x2x2 with cabinet not sumped so no holes drilled. I have a canister but is sump better for marine?

Other thing I would have to buy pretty much

How much room do you have? (decides the maximum size you can get in there)

What style of media do you want to use? eg a mud refugium or carbon dosed marine pure (kinda decides size of middle chamber)

How much room do you need for the skimmer? that kinda decides size of first chamber

Which heater/return pump? that kinda decides size of last chamber

See all these questions......... and they all come back to the species and numbers of livestock you are planning on keeping.

Also if you go with corals, you need adequate lighting and a chiller.......... so thats a big part of the budget there.

The biggest sump you can fit the better you will be, the more water you have for marine the better as it creates a more stable environment.

I would suggest reading an awful lot, I dont think marine tanks are hard as such but its a much more enjoyable run when you understand everything in a greater depth, water chemistry can be quite a curve ball for coral tanks if you are unsure. setting up the tank depends who you talk with as there are a few ways to go about it depending on the out come your after.

As for the port & ray you would need a 8x3x3 minimal, sharks are also not really the type of saltwater fish you want to start out with, they are great but again require a bit more knowledge and the setup works a little different to a fowlr or coral system, in saying that nothing beats a saltwater shark, I would trade all my freshwater tanks for one but the salt just rusts out my whole room! be careful with that also .

I'm just starting work so I'll have a search through my breaks and get you guys a rough idea of want I'm wanting. And don to tell the truth I have no idea about the sump chamber sizes and all equipment lol

And don to tell the truth I have no idea about the sump chamber sizes and all equipment lol

as always, with more initial investment comes more efficient smaller equipment :D

The more you work out exactly what you want....... the more we can backtrack to work out what you need to get it!

Reefing The Australian Way Forums • View topic - Scooby's Reef Tank - Updated 4/10/2008 [TOTM Dec07]

Ok so I had a little browse and come across this guys aquarium and it is awesome. I love it. The same or similar that I would like. Same species of fish i like and corals look amazing.

I also read about moving which is a big problem for us. We are renting and we do plan to buy in a couple of years so won't be doing anything soon I think until buy a house and am comfortable with the house

Reefing The Australian Way Forums • View topic - Scooby's Reef Tank - Updated 4/10/2008 [TOTM Dec07]

Ok so I had a little browse and come across this guys aquarium and it is awesome. I love it. The same or similar that I would like. Same species of fish i like and corals look amazing.

I also read about moving which is a big problem for us. We are renting and we do plan to buy in a couple of years so won't be doing anything soon I think until buy a house and am comfortable with the house

hmmmm.......... so to get started a budget around $4000 would get you on your way equipment wise.

Livestock you can trickle feed into the setup over time.

Thanks a lot for your help don but I'm thinking we will hold off on it for a while until we are comfortable with a house and save a little. Gives me plenty of time to research more on it as well.:typing:

Edited by Anthony93

Make sure you get a note book, and record what is important to you, from what you learn.

Number one objective is to work out what you like before you try to build it.

SPS corals are some of the most demanding of corals because they need stable good conditions.

You only need a small thing to happen and cause drama, so most people rely on solid tech.

And as always, its the little things you pay for.

In your case I would research how to sump tanks, and how to build sumps.

If you want to practise for keeping corals first, make a damsel tank.

This is basicaly an African cichlid tank, but in salt water.

The only real extra cost involved from an african one, is purchasing marine salt for water changes.

Even the fish are very cheap. Plus you can add some clownfish to the mix!

Cant do that in a rift lake tank.

Its a good way to dab your toe before investing big time.

If you are keen for that, invest in an FX6 and a bucket of marine salt.

Probably $600 + 3 weeks and you could have..........

BlueDevil1_Ap15A1.jpg

Blue Devil Damselfish, Devilfish, Chrysiptera cyanea