Mattzilla

Drastic setup change... will it work?

OK so i'm tossing up an idea of drastically changing my current 6x2x2 display tank. It's currently a south american setup up with planted driftwood, sand etc etc

I'm getting the flowerhorn itch bad and am thinking about emptying the whole tank going bare bottom with one or two fresh water rays (my son is obsessed with stringrays), 1-3 flowerhorn and 1 arowana.

My concerns with the flowerhorn is that i might be better with just one so that none get harrassed. also will the fh pick on the fresh water rays? if i went say 3 fh would that be enough to share the agro if i get them all young? i would get males only as well

I guess i would get everything juvenile so that they all grow up together and hopefully get along.

it's just a thought at the moment but i'm very seriously considering it

your thoughts? ideas? Suggestions

thanks

You will need to upgrade your tank as the rays grow. You will need to go at least 6x3 for an adult ray.

I have an adult motoro in an 8x3x2 and he really should be in a bigger tank IMO. Either 8x4 or 10x4.

all aboard the negativity train...

someones been watching too many youtube videos.....

honestly, no.

dont chuck anything with the capacity to harm a ray, in with a ray. most likely if it can hurt a ray, it will...

need big tanks too...

incompatible whatever way you put it.

Yeah nobody seems to mention that rays also have the power to kill a fish, if not suffocate and eat them, end lives with those barbs, it always seems to be look out for the stingrays they aren't always the victim lol

Yeah nobody seems to mention that rays also have the power to kill a fish, if not suffocate and eat them, end lives with those barbs, it always seems to be look out for the stingrays they aren't always the victim lol

look out for the ray, its usually worth a **** load more than an oscar.

look out for the ray, its usually worth a **** load more than an oscar.

Not everyone keeps oscars with rays :blabla:

The tank sizes & water quality usually associated with ray's usually leads to a slightly higher calibre of fish that are considered suitable tank mates for rays..

Just a heads up for those getting into rays for a first time, its not always the ray you worry about more...

Not everyone keeps oscars with rays :blabla:

The tank sizes & water quality usually associated with ray's usually leads to a slightly higher calibre of fish that are considered suitable tank mates for rays..

Just a heads up for those getting into rays for a first time, its not always the ray you worry about more...

just the special people, hey [MENTION=12614]Al32[/MENTION]

Nothing against the humble oscar either, if that's your fish and you've had it along time people tend to grow attached and it isn't always about the $ involved with every fish, sentimental value doesn't usually carry a price.

Nothing against the humble oscar either, if that's your fish and you've had it along time people tend to grow attached and it isn't always about the $ involved with every fish, sentimental value doesn't usually carry a price.

it was a joke. ha ha. ha ha.

lighten up a little hey

You will need to upgrade your tank as the rays grow. You will need to go at least 6x3 for an adult ray.

I have an adult motoro in an 8x3x2 and he really should be in a bigger tank IMO. Either 8x4 or 10x4.

:nono: you never showed me the ray while I was over a couple weeks back....... I thought we had a bond too ;( hahaha

:nono: you never showed me the ray while I was over a couple weeks back....... I thought we had a bond too ;( hahaha

That's because I didn't have said ray when you were down.

Bought it off of [MENTION=2361]Deeg[/MENTION] a couple weeks ago.

That's because I didn't have said ray when you were down.

Bought it off of [MENTION=2361]Deeg[/MENTION] a couple weeks ago.

Well then i'm going to need to deliver the nxt batch you grab off me then so i can have a perv on this beauty... :eyebrows:

Coloured up nicely mate. Glad he's settled in. As for a 6 x2 it really is only going to be big enough for a year max. Rays will kill cichlids sometimes. But cichlids have a tendency to pick at the eyes of the rays, in saying that it all depends on the individual fish. Arowana will be fine.

HI Guys,

Sorry for the long delay in replying, i've been flat out the last few days and this is the first time i have been able to sit down and write something.

Looks like my idea is no good for a number of reasons. tanks too small, rays are likely to get harrassed, 3 fh is not enough to spread the aggression etc etc

Looks like i'll stick to my original plan and keep my display tank as is and get an additional tank for one kick arse fh.

So i'm on the hunt for a master piece young male fh. when the right one comes along i'll snap it up!

thanks everyone, chat soon