kasman

basic sump design - good or bad

I have acquired a couple of sumps, one will be used for marine, the other im hoping to use for freshwater.

For the freshwater setup Iv come up with a very basic idea of how to utilise media in it. Just after some comments if it can be done better. My aim is to also make it easy to clean etc,

Water will enter via pre filter sock, then hit K1 media, will run under baffle through sponge and out via pump.

Planning on washing the sock up to once a day - easy task done in about 10 seconds to get rid of solids.

The sponge is there to contain K1 and also act as redundancy media in case air pump fails and K1 stops tumbling.

First sump Iv setup so just wanting to make sure Iv got the right idea.

Any comments are welcome, whats good whats bad?

Sock a good idea?

K1 still best option?

Thanks.

post-3737-14711632011631_thumb.jpg

Whats going on mate? You sell the dog? lol

I think u really want your pump to be as low in the sump as u can... saves it running dry when evaporation/**** happens

Whats going on mate? You sell the dog? lol

I think u really want your pump to be as low in the sump as u can... saves it running dry when evaporation/**** happens

mate, these tanks just turn up in my garage I have no idea where they come from.

Who am I not to sump them and put fish in them. Just trying to to my bit for world hunger.

yeh true about pump position. I like the idea of having some sponge in here so will have to see what I can do to get the pump lower.

Edited by kasman

Looks good to be honest but wouldn't you want/need more mechanical filtration?

nah not really. as lictoga said the sock (300 micron) will just need regular cleaning. I would prefer to rinse the sock once a day than clean sump media once every few months. john runs a sock on his setup thats what gave me the idea.

If you are leaning toward a very simple design and have the room you can have a trickle box over your sump

cheap easy , practical , very easy to clean removes alot of solids prior to you K 1 . cheers Mark .

post-4580-14711632012731_thumb.jpg

If you are leaning toward a very simple design and have the room you can have a trickle box over your sump

cheap easy , practical , very easy to clean removes alot of solids prior to you K 1 . cheers Mark .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53883[/ATTACH]

Im guessing you would have some type of sponge in there Mark?

I like the idea. Would be very easy to clean.

You can use sponge or dacron but I think the dacron removes more solids

I rarely even bother cleaning the dacron just replace it .

It can be pretty much be a major part of your filtration .

Dacron then sponge and or jap mat and a media bag with marine pure or Matrix on the bottom.

thanks for the ideas [MENTION=4580]markfnq[/MENTION]

looks like a cost effective and efficient way to do things.

I have a gazillion bioballs laying around, might try and utilise them somehow with a dacron drip tray and see how that goes without the K1.

If using bioballs they work alot better if they are getting wet but not submerged, i run a coarse sponge at the water level and have the bioballs just getting the water from the driptray.

Cheers mick