martib

discus in ponds ??????

what are your thoughts....ive been thinking about doing this for some time now!!!!

ive got a pond 3.5m x 1.2 x 600 .and would like to stock the pond with shrimp and then adding maybe 6 discus...

they would only be low grade fish... just want to see how they go,as I live in cairns temp wont be to much of a problem until this time of year,but will look into that.....

what are your thoughts

cheers marty

I think that as long as the water conditions are good and the temp does not get too high or low then they should do really well, everything else does really well in ponds.

I have 2 breeding pair of discus and a huge pond/pool that I am planning on testing with the discus come summer. (I'm in Hervey bay so winter has had the pond temp down to 10 degrees)

The only things that flag for me are -

1. Most shrimp I know of don't tend to breed above 22 degrees and most discus don't like to go as low as 22 degrees, so there may be an imbalance there.

2. What is the pond made from? Concrete ponds normally make the water quite hard which is not ideal for discus.

3. What are the water parameters?

Look forward to seeing what you do.

You wouldn't be the first person to do that in cairns, as long as they are added when the pond is the same temp as the tank they come from they will adjust as the water slowly cools down.

Cheers mick