So I set this up over the last couple days.

ECF87A61-5B18-4199-B43C-BDF6218174AB.jpg

24x18x18.

Eheim 2213, courtesy of AoA. Aquaclear HoB that will be re-purposed once the Eheim has cycled.

New sand with the black gravel from their old tank.

I had the slate lying around the shed.

So I was looking at LED options for this tank. No plants will be added as these guys hate them, they rip out any plant that goes in their tank.

I am trying to decide on a LED option and am looking at the Ista Cree or Ista RGB from [MENTION=1338]The Tech Den[/MENTION], or the Up Aqua for tropicals. I am would really like some opinions from people that have used any of these or a quality alternative in the same price range.

go RGB. as techy said will bring out the colours really well.

I like your tank. nice and simple with some goldies as the main attraction. awesome.

you could go some floating plants in there. Something that will grow quicker than they can eat it. I have a couple of types of hornwort with mine goldfish and it is surviing quite well.

Edited by kasman

Colour of the fish I think is the most important thing for this tank as there are no plants.

It's not that they eat it, it's that the pearlscale pulls it out of the substrate.

I have some Moneywart from my big tank that may work in there. Not a big fan of floating plants as I find they get pushed into a corner by the spray bars.

Thanks [MENTION=5455]Donny[/MENTION]. I had considered the Miracle, but then went to the Istas and Up Aqua based on a price point.

Both Ista and Miracle seem like good units.

[MENTION=5455]Donny[/MENTION] are the Aqualinias any good, as in compared to the Miracle Led?

The miracle light is good for colours but harder to get the brightness - it is more subdued compared with the Ista RGB. The Ista with fractionally less in the colour but more in the white and brighter to help make the tank pop. If you want to pop into the new show happy to show you both running.

Get what you pay for with the aqualina LED's i've owned 3 of them , also branded under i think beamswork and a couple other names but it is the exact same unit..

I like the fluval LED range, so now i have 3 of those in 4ft size in my collection but refuse to light other big tanks with them as it ends up getting quite pricey!

Fluval led construction is very solid.

As to ista RGB they are ok. 2 of the 4 foot lights I use on my 8 foot are ista RGB.

I didnt find them as bright as the miracle LED tho.

Hence having to add another 2 blue/white 4 footers just to really light it up.

We are talking about a 24x18x18

even an aqualina slimline would do the job nicely

tiny watts and nice and reliable

+ no algae growth as its just not enough light to grow it really,