WhoWeR

Breeding Cacatuoides ----- I HAVE MY FIRST LOT OF EGGS

I have been searching around for info on breeding these guys and I am confused. Some sites say pairs and other say harem breeding.

Does anyone know what is the best way to breed these Dwarves?

Thanks

Jenny

Jenny,

Depends on how big the tank is.

Dwarf females can be hard on the males after a spawn and will chase him away. The advantage of a harem in a big enough tank is that the male will drift from girl to girl doing his thing. Good to watch the full behaviour.

You need about a foot per female with a bit extra for a male. I had 3 girls and 1 guy in a four footer and he had babies everywhere, cuising from one girl to another. You can also get sneaker males who pretent to be a girl so that they can sneak into a males territory to breed.

The other way to do it is a smaller tank with 1 pair and remove the male after breeding. If you do not remove the male he may well end up dead. Cranky things these females. Reminds me of my wife. :lol:8O:lol: . I will pay for that later.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Thanks for that Steve.

Sorry I took so long to reply. I didn't see the new post.

I have them in a two foot at the moment but I am trying to get the tank space to spread them out. I was going to split them up into one trio and one pair and see how they go.

I was going to leave the pair in the two foot and move the trio to a 2x2x1.

Thanks again

Jenny

ONE GIRL HAS EGGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I'm happy. Yesterday i decided to split them up and I move a pair out and left the trio. But i didn't see one girl. This morning I noticed that the front of her pot had been blocked off with gravel. I decided to have a peek. There was eggs!!!!!

I have moved her to a tank on her own with her eggs and we will wait and see what happens.

Jenny