Rastinger62

Making your own 3d background

Wanting to make a background for our 10x3x2.5ft tank which is nearly built.

We are using styro foam.

Just a few questions:

Did you use a hobby cement or tile grout to first on the background after carving?

What paint did you use?

What sealer did you use to finish it off to stop water getting into the background?

Did your ideas work and are your fish still alive lol?

Any other info would be great

Cheers

I saw Steve Baines make one once at the Cichlid meeting. Used a hair dryer to melt foam into different shapes, from memory he just threw sand at it while it was still hot and sticky. He made it look so easy.

Little bit different but when making backgrounds etc for reptile (yes I know, not submerged in water) they are done with styro (i have used a soldering iron to melt away bits), coated with a few layers of grout, painted, then sealed with at least 3 layers of a pond sealer that is safe to use with fish. Dunno if this would be safe enough for fish..

I just got some advice from a mate who has made one and has had it in his tank.

1. carve the styro

2. cover with pond sealer black

3. paint with oxide and tones

4.cover with pond sealer clear

5. silicone into tank.

6. :):D:) at your background and fill with water

You can coat with a product called Ormanoid but it's black. The main problem with coating polysyyrene is that any scratches show up as bright white.

When siliconing the background in, use large blobs rather than streaks of glue. AND use a lot. Don't undet estimate the buoyancy of polystyrene because I've seen backgrounds let go a few months later, smashing the tank cross and side bracing and causing the tank to then fail. On 10 foot plus tanks, you can imagine the mess. One of them pushed clear accross the floor from the back pressure hitting the wall and the tank hydroplanning until it hit a sofa and toppling.

You can coat with a product called Ormanoid but it's black. The main problem with coating polysyyrene is that any scratches show up as bright white.

When siliconing the background in, use large blobs rather than streaks of glue. AND use a lot. Don't undet estimate the buoyancy of polystyrene because I've seen backgrounds let go a few months later, smashing the tank cross and side bracing and causing the tank to then fail. On 10 foot plus tanks, you can imagine the mess. One of them pushed clear accross the floor from the back pressure hitting the wall and the tank hydroplanning until it hit a sofa and toppling.

That would have been one hell of a ride for the fish!!!

a few layers of coating should hopefully fix that problem without it scratching. There will be a fair bit of sealer on there cause I don't want any chances of it leaching into that water. Thanks for the tip about the silicone.

I make them all the time.... im currently in the middle of a 8ft x 3ft job ATM

If you look down in the sunshine coast aquarium club section you will see some images of some of the ones i showed members how to build...

If your looking for a KIT to build your own then the club can provide you one.