the German

I last cleaned the fx5 ! Ummmmmmm

So it's been a while since I cleaned the fx5 ,it was still flowing strong but now she is twice as strong :)

Enjoy the gunk

7F33FF80-C569-4C58-A660-56F2DED45992_zpsojbovyhp.jpg

2BEA2C15-66CD-45EF-8D3D-DB00BAC0632A_zps8lxyzasn.jpg

After a bit of a clean

F3393CA4-59D6-4A3E-AB19-BA45EC52A70F_zpskftaelle.jpg

I'll sort this out some other day :)

E061A5D7-388D-4D60-AD08-76FB1EFEA5FE_zps9rhrmcmr.jpg

Cleaned mine couple of days ago as it was making a noise

Wasn't as bad as yours but wasn't much better

Just goes to show how much you can abuse them as long as your water is stable

FJ

Holy crap lol

I know I'm anal but I have my canister changes diarised in my outlook for every 3 months as time gets away

I must admit but it's mainly because it makes me gag if they are like your pics :( I must have a weak stomach

Very comen mistake is that people think k1 needs to move , it dose not. Google how a nexius filter works and you will see that k1 dose not move in the inner ring of there filters ,and k1 was designed for nexius

Hth

In a FX5 if they self cleaned you could just attach a hose to the purge tap and away you go. If they don't self clean well you're back to cleaning them regardless. Keep us updated German. I've got K1 in a sump but wanted to see what all the hype is about Biospheres

Very comen mistake is that people think k1 needs to move , it dose not. Google how a nexius filter works and you will see that k1 dose not move in the inner ring of there filters ,and k1 was designed for nexius

Hth

The nexus uses the same K1 media for 2 different purposes. In the static section, it is using K1 for mechanical filtration. Passively trapping dirt. Using K1 makes it easy to back flush clean by flooding -floating it to dislodge the trapped dirt.

The moving bed section of K1 is for biological filtration.

Having said that, I often use plain gravel in canister filters since gravel gives me zero ammonia with my stocking rates so there isn't any need to improve.