fishfish

Ideas on sex of my flamebacks

Google flameback pictures of males and females. Might give yourself more of an idea on the 2. Personally I think they have too much colour to be girls and the rounded anal doesn't mean females yet as I have a sub dom male with a rounded anal fin.

By the photos I say both female. Depends on size they look about 8cm or so. Who says females dont have colour or egg spots. Got 100+ females in an IBC and they all have just a slight red tinge to there fins like yours. What is the back ground on them. They look to fat and wrong body shape to be male. I could be wrong on the second pic but if the first one is female the second should be danceing with her all day long showing his colours up.

The one in the second pic just chases the other one around the tank every now and they never dance or anything like that. Prolly close to the 8cm mark

Edited by fishfish

The one in the second pic just chases the other one around the tank every now and they never dance or anything like that. Prolly close to the 8cm mark

was gunna say before , that the 2nd pic looks like the dominant male of the 2, yes the females do have a little , little colour, but these look to coloured to be female imo

was gunna say before , that the 2nd pic looks like the dominant male of the 2, yes the females do have a little , little colour, but these look to coloured to be female imo

If it was only 2 females would I still get the kinda agro with one chasing the other?

If it was only 2 females would I still get the kinda agro with one chasing the other?

a little, but thats what africans are like, if they are 8cm they would have bred by now , i had 2 large colonies and found the females would start breeding around the 5cm mark.

If you want to breed them get a confrimed male and that will soon sort out if one is a male as they will fight for the girl. A flameback male at that size (as [MENTION=7848]PETFISH[/MENTION] mentioned will be breeding at 5cm) being true Pundamilia nyererei should look like this

http://www.african-cichlid.com/NyerereiMwanza.htm

or at lest close to it. As we here in Oz call them flamebacks even though around the world a flameback is a little different or a lot different. Even here is queensland a lot of lake victorians get called flamebacks when they are not true Pundamilia nyererei and there is some bad quality getting around. That is why some background would be of assistants. They look good for females with that much colour.

Could it just be that the black sustrate is making some of you believe they have to much colour to be female. Flamebacks colour up a hell of alot more over dark substrate. And im with hellboy, I have females here with egg spots and slight colour, but mine only show it when they want to breed. As for sex of your fish, I aint gunna guess but will say even the poorest quality males should have more colour than that especially over a dark substrate.

Could it just be that the black sustrate is making some of you believe they have to much colour to be female. Flamebacks colour up a hell of alot more over dark substrate. And im with hellboy, I have females here with egg spots and slight colour, but mine only show it when they want to breed. As for sex of your fish, I aint gunna guess but will say even the poorest quality males should have more colour than that especially over a dark substrate.

good piont about the substrate affecting colour, i had mine in bare bottom tanks,

If you want to breed them get a confrimed male and that will soon sort out if one is a male as they will fight for the girl. A flameback male at that size (as [MENTION=7848]PETFISH[/MENTION] mentioned will be breeding at 5cm) being true Pundamilia nyererei should look like this

http://www.african-cichlid.com/NyerereiMwanza.htm

or at lest close to it. As we here in Oz call them flamebacks even though around the world a flameback is a little different or a lot different. Even here is queensland a lot of lake victorians get called flamebacks when they are not true Pundamilia nyererei and there is some bad quality getting around. That is why some background would be of assistants. They look good for females with that much colour.

couldn't agree more, to many fish called "flameback"