troutfish

I want to breed small feeders

Hi brains trust,

I want to breed small feeders for my little bass. I have tried RC shrimp, but they are too cool, so they got their own tank

What sort of species should I go for?

Cheers

Ez

the red cherries have been working well for me, and i have about six or seven pairs of mosaic guppies which breed like rabbits. i use them both for feeders for the peacock bass.

I don't seem to get a heap of babies from my shrimp. They bred, but are certainly not prolific. Are there any particular types of guppies that are easier, or or they all the same kinda deal?

Swordtails, especially big females, will give you a heap of fry. They would be my choice cause they don't look too shabby and will certainly get the job done. Other than that any of your basic live bearers would do, they all breed just as easily and frequently

Convicts are always good, will still work when the bass are larger also.

pretty fast spawns & will care for the young quite well, just watch out when removing the fry dont let there size fool you!

I'd agree with the swordtails. The big female swordtail I had produced 2 or 3 times more fry than the guppies each time. Low grade cherries as feeders and keep the nicer ones haha.

I haven't thought to try mealworms etc, interesting. I think I'll give the sword tails a crack, and see how I go. Might buy some meal worms though, interested to see what the fish make of them. Thanks again guys

[MENTION=6988]th3f0rg0t3n[/MENTION] Can superworms constitute as total diet?? Or are they still only supplementary to pellets? Guess what I'm asking is, is it possible to grow, breed and maintain a self-sustaining stable diet fish food source??

Get a pair of super texas lol, they can breed once 2/3 weeks and produce hundreds of fry, even close to 1000. I have a pair which I use the fry as feeders :-)

[MENTION=6988]th3f0rg0t3n[/MENTION] Can superworms constitute as total diet?? Or are they still only supplementary to pellets? Guess what I'm asking is, is it possible to grow, breed and maintain a self-sustaining stable diet fish food source??

I wouldn't feed them as a total diet you would still supplement the superworms with other things every now and then pellets/frozen foods etc good to have variety but easily could be used as a bulk feeder depending on what fish you have, but you do have the added benefit of feeding your superworms oats/carrots/lettuce/potato/apple that type of thing which in turn once your fish eats the superworm it is going to be ingesting those foods too which can only be great for your fish, i believe the protein level in 1 superworm far outweigh's woodys/mealworms/crickets etc and with the added benefit they do not stink make noise and are super easy to start breeding