n5750547

Awesome moss on a wall

Hello all. I have just come back from NZ and have a photo I thought you night enjoy. It's of some moss growing on top of a wall and although it's not been done on purpose - at least I think not - it looks really good. I think I will use it as inspiration for my next nano planted tank.

391cb4be7da838d61365351630f4b3dd6.jpg

New Zealand boasts some 550 species of moss in more than 200 genera – a rich variety for such a small area. Only about one-fifth are endemic – meaning they are found nowhere else

MOSSES – Te Ara Encyclopedia of New Zealand

The currently known moss flora of New Zealand.......... The flora is interpreted as predominantly Gondwanan in origin, and it shows strong relationships to the bryofloras of Tasmania, south–eastern Australia, and temperate South America. Less pronounced floristic relationships exist with paleotropical and Polynesian regions, and there is a pronounced bipolar element.

Introduction to mosses | Discovery & description | Landcare Research

Chances are you can find something similar on the Australian database

ABRS | Australian Mosses Online

then look for something in the same genus in NZ.

Came accross this little nugget.

Two New Zealand mosses, Campylopus introflexus and Orthodontium lineare, were accidentally introduced into Europe, where they have become noxious weeds, spreading quickly and displacing native mosses. Campylopus smothers the ground so completely that it interferes with the germination of seeds of trees and shrubs.

How can you get submersed moss to grow compact like that?

For that next nano project, I would look into various fissiden types. These are minature mosses that suit nanos perfectly and grow densely packed. I don't really think you can achieve the 'compactness' with other mosses like xmas, java, peacock etc.

my mini fissidens & internet pics

DSCN94421024x768.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg

IMG_1208.png

minifissidensiu3.jpg

Fissidens-fontanus-moss-1024x682.jpg

Where can you buy that type of moss in Brissy?

US fissiden (last photo) - fishchick stocks them (from memory, $25-30 per 5x5cm mesh)

Other moss/mini-fissiden types - very unlikely shops will have them so only way is to buy from plant hoarders/hobbyists (I'll put some up FS in the near future)

US fissiden (last photo) - fishchick stocks them (from memory, $25-30 per 5x5cm mesh)

Other moss/mini-fissiden types - very unlikely shops will have them so only way is to buy from plant hoarders/hobbyists (I'll put some up FS in the near future)

Wow, i didn't think it was worth that much.

Must be time to get some mesh, i have a 30x20cm carpet of us fissidens in one of my shrimp tanks.

Mini fissidens grows alot slower, i have the Sydney and qld versions but only around a 15cm square of each.

I am using ceramic rings to make starters of the mini fissidens but I'm unsure of value so none for sale at the moment.

Where would I get mesh from?

Cheers mick

Here you go [MENTION=885]smicko[/MENTION] this is a guy who's on another forum I'm a member of and free delivery.

Z-Aquatics items - Get great deals on Midground, Background items on eBay Stores!

Thanks mate but why would you do that to me, I want to buy more plants now lol.

Just kidding mate, thanks for the link I was thinking of going to bunnings tomorrow to see what they had that I could adapt but now I can stay in the fish room longer lol.

Cheers mick

Must be time to get some mesh, i have a 30x20cm carpet of us fissidens in one of my shrimp tanks.

Mini fissidens grows alot slower, i have the Sydney and qld versions but only around a 15cm square of each.

I am using ceramic rings to make starters of the mini fissidens but I'm unsure of value so none for sale at the moment.

Cheers mick

If you decide to sell any let me know. Would be very interested!

Cheers mick

Let me know aswell if you decide to sell.

Cheers

Jeridre