Sign in to follow this  
Stoppy

Introducing New Filter Advice

Hi All,

I am going to make the big purchase this weekend and buy a new Eheim external canister for the tank.

My tank is already established with a Fluval 4 Plus and about 25 cichlids.

Could someone please advise is this a simple matter of connecting everything and flicking the switch???

Or is there a requirement to exchange bacteria????

Thanks in advance

Stoppy

easiest way would be to use the existing media in the old canister and add any new media as well to the new canister that way its all ready seeded and u wont have to re cycle the tank again

Thanks Mad.....Small problem....Fluval 4 plus is an internal sponge filter........

Could I introduce the new filter and run the two filters side by side for a period of a week, while the new filter starts it's bacteria cycle???

Oooooo....and the Zebra's I got of you a while back are mating...but the little girl keeps spitting or swallowing the eggs.....all 5 of them are in good condition.

Cheers

Stoppy

yeah that will be fine running them together as well

good news on the red top zebs ya find that with africans the first couple times they breed the girls spit or eat the eggs but they soon work out whats going on and hold full term

so wont be long and you shall have fry and then so many ya dont know where to begin and you will need more tanks

Okay, so got the 2217 home safe and sound.......Hooked it up with the taps.....I have a couple of concerns.

It seems to make a clunk noise on start up only......is this normal???

Also it was a little noisy when running and I gave it a few rocks and the air come out and the overall noise got quiter.

Is there any nack to making them quite....should you hear any noise????

Cheers

Stoppy

I believe it should be extremely quiet. I have a 2213 and a 2211 and not a peep from either.

Rattling noise = impellor problem

Other noises = (usually) air bubbles from not priming correctly or a loose seal

Loose seal may be diagnosed through water drops/leaks - wipe down canister / hose connections then inspect a few minutes later for signs of a leak

Air bubble problem will usually work itself out.

Hi Soppy

The 2217's shouldn't make much noise at all. It should just sound as if the motor is running, a little hum. My Fluval 303 makes more noise.

Make sure the bracket holding the impeller in has not fallen out. You can check with a torch. The bracket in mine has fallen out after making that start up noise you described - it can still pump water with this bracket dislodged.

Check the seal for the outlet that is inside the cover for the motor. You can pry the cover off with a flat blade screwdriver. There is also a plastic ring that clips onto the outlet to keep this seal in place.

HTH

Steve

Hi Peter & Soulvdog,

So I have been keeping an eye on the new set up for the last two hours......The verdict is:

1. Air has stop coming out of the spraybar

2. No Leaks anywhere.....Will be keeping an eye on this over the next week though.

2. The 2217 is now making a slight hum you both explain. "I was sitting watching the AFL and could he this noise I have never heard before and it was the fridge"......Might have to buy a new fridge hey...... :lol:

Before I posted this message, I turned the power of on the pump and then flicked the switch back on and it made the clunk noise again but did not do this an hour ago.

Could this be the impellor just balancing up??? :?

Cheers

Stoppy

Sign in to follow this