FishTastic

Fish tanks in rental properties?

What are your thoughts about fish tanks in rental properties. Are they considered pets under the "no pets" rule?

Should you ask the real estate/landlord first?

Will they kick up a stink over a large fish tank?

I am talking a 4ft tank here. Not renting yet but will be soon.

under the NEW law most will say NO some REAL ESTATE wont let waterbeds its the new water law in rental some REAL ESTATE will make u take out insurance of water damage and that's not cheep my landlord is not to bad about the fish tanks but they not in the house well 2 r the rest r out in the man cave

Basically what i comes down to is landlords want you not to damage their property, and they want the rent paid. Thats about it really. Most of the time when they say "no pets" they mean, "no damage, and no noise complaints from neighbours". Fish are unlikely to cause either issue, unless you have a leaky tank.

Keeping that in mind I've rented with 3 nano tanks (biggest 25l) and i've never had an issue, didnt have to mention it, i asked when i moved in and most agents asked how big the tank was and waved it away when i told them. Several agents did inspections (they changed a few times), nobody cared. It was the equivant of having several large vases of water and flowers around.

For a big tank i'd be much more cautious - some might be fine with keeping big tanks in the garage where damage is limited if there is an issue. I'd want to declare it and make sure it was in writing it was okay. A 4ft tank can make one hell of a mess on the living room carpet if it leaks!

I do know of a rental where the guys 6ft tank went crashing to the downstairs floor of his two story home. He did not place it over the support beams and was up for several thousands to repair the damage. He didn't run it by the Real Estate first :(

[MENTION=11963]Desert Dweller[/MENTION]. Can you PM me as many details as you can regarding this. I am actually involved in design of housing. I certainly agree that a 6 x 2 x 2 tank is above the design weight of the floor system, but would expect considerable other damage (nails popping and deflection) prior to an actual structural collapse.

It may actually differ from state to state - it's all very well to say that some people are fine with it and others aren't.. but definitely get permission. You don't want it to come down to some a-hole having a bad day and deciding to strictly interpret the rental agreement. Get it in writing beforehand, or prior to signing the rental agreement, request that they add a clause that you are allowed to keep the tank. However you get it in writing is fine - just something that you can show, if you're ever questioned. You can then put it back on whoever ok'd it.

I was asked to provide photos of all tanks and size/litres with my applications. The real estate had to then ask the owners if they where comfortable with having the tanks in the house. At the time I had a 5x2x2, 2 3fts and a few smaller tanks. Most owners would not allow that many large tanks in the house. My current landlord expressed conserns about my 5ft so it has to be outside. After speaking to many real estate agents in town most said that outside tanks and ones in first story sheds/garages would not be a problem because there was no chance of water damage to the house. I was also told that when the fish room was set up it was my responsibility to ensure that all power supplies where safe.

We only declared our dog, and kept a 4ft tank inside and a standard 4ft in the garage. Had a few inspections and none of the agents mentioned anything about the tanks. The house we rented was a concrete slab type construction and on tiles, so that may have made a difference. If the floors were wood, I probably would have kept both tanks in the garage.

In the house we lived in previously (house was built on stilts with wood floors), my 4 x 2 tank was kept inside and I could tell the weight of the tank and cabinet put a lot of pressure on the floor. There was a small bow in floors and the floorboards were a tad bouncy near the tank. This was our place though not a rental.

Edited by Night Owl