professor_rob

Good sump pump for 700g system

Hi guys and gals

I know this has probably been asked before, many times...Just after some information from you guys with experience with big sump pumps.

I previously had the Waveline DC 10000 pump, and I thought it was pretty good, but since have come to the conclusions that they are very unreliable. I have gone through 2 pumps and 3 power packs, they just keep failing, this is in about a year.

I need a replacement for the 5th time.....I have decided to ditch the waveline and get a better pump.

I am looking at either the Tunze 1073.11, the Laguna Max Flow Power Jet 4280 or the Aquael PFN15000 plus.

I hear guys rave about the Laguna pumps, but was more curious about the Aqueal. My main priority is low noise (or no noise), how noisy are they? Is the remote feature useful on the Aqueal? I did like the remote with the Waveline pump. Also anyone heard of any quality issues with any of the above pumps, I have some Tunze gear and it is pretty good quality...I am sure the rest of their range is the same.

Also a side question, when measuring head height if my return pump goes 2.5m high then down 50cm so the pipe exit is <2m, for output flow rate do I take the head height of 2.5m or 2m? (not taking into account bends in pipes/hoses)

Thanks guys, just after a pump that will do 10000+lph.

p.s anyway thinking of getting a dc waveline pump, I highly recommend thinking twice....

+ 1 for laguna for long life/reliability/quietness. I've measured the power usage of 2 pumps with a meter, they are considerably less than the stated power usage as well.

Head height is calculated from the top of water level (without power) to the highest point you need to pump to. The more bends and narrower your pipes, the less flow you will get but the head height is the same.

Grundfos make really nice inline pumps as well.

Edited by aquaholic99

I think you will be happy with either one of the three, I have had the Tunze and loved it - awesome unit. Run a couple of the Aquael units in the shop - not the Plus version with the controller and happy with them too.

I think it will be a photo finish on three an hard to split and sure you will be happy no matter which one you choose.

Just did a quick flow comparison of some of the pumps I was interested in or already have.

I am not sure how accurate it all is, just got the rates off the internet.

It looks like the Tunze pump may not have a high enough flow output for what I was after. I was wanting to get about 10,000 lph, and the tunze drops quite a bit with a bit of head height.

Another option is the Aqua Nova Eco pumps I guess, I will have to look into them a bit. But the Aquael is looking pretty good at the moment.

post-3891-14711632268326_thumb.jpg

Cant comment on the aquael as have never used one but have heard raving reviews. I can say tho the best thing I ever did to my fish room was introduce a luguna sump pump. Silent pump with great water flow even with numerous bends I have set up. I have the 10000 lh model and it runs 2 6x2s and a 5x2 with a bleed off back to sump due to too much flow for tanks.

so I got the Aquael 15000.

It is giving more flow on the lowest setting than the waveline dc 10000 was on the highest. so happy with the choice

One issues is there is a bit of vibration noise. for my old pump i used a big foam pad thing (about 6cm thick) but it wont fit under this pump as there is not much room (height-wise)

what do you guys use to minimise vibration noise with external sump pumps?? what is the best way to stop the vibration noise. it is on wood.

also i have got micro bubbles getting into the system somewhere. need to work out where they are coming from....

yeah i will try for a sponge again but as it has to be thin i think wont dampen the vibration much. also i realised it doesnt sit 100% flat. it is tilted forward a little towards the inlet hose end.

I think something like strong bubble wrap which has air pockets would be best but it wouldnt last.

:o will be following this, hoping to get an aquael 25000 once renos are done & have so spare change :(!

I have been using a laguna 16 000, cant complain but seems like its just not pushing enough water + my hornet ripped the intake off so its producing a nasty sound.

Have had good luck in the past using yoga mats or thick styro foam for pumps, I have also cut the pipe smaller so the pump actually is suspend in the air, it works quite well but I dont know how good it is for the actual pump :|

i got the noise down to a acceptable level.... bubble wrap sandwiched between two bits of foam seemed to do the trick.

Now i need to tackle the micro bubble issue.

Only changes to the plumbing from the old pump is a few threaded pvc and non threaded pvc and hose connections. The threaded pvc has plumbers tape. the non threaded pvc has cement, so i am 90% sure the micro bubbles are not from there.

When the pump was off one of the hoses joins (with a hose clamp) had a tiny water leak, about 1 drop every couple of minutes (before the pump intake). when the pump is on the water drops/leak disapears....is this the source of the micro bubbles???????

I tried putting silicone around the hose end to see if it would stop it but no luck (wasnt the best job) might have to redo that join with silicon and a clamp.....

Going to try redoing the sump pump plumbing this weekend to try to get rid of the micro bubbles and minimise noise as much as possible, also might add an extra return pipe as the flow is way stronger than the previous pump.

For those who have the Aquael pump does it matter if you use the hose joiners for the in and out that comes with the pumps, or can you use threaded PVC? I used threaded PVC which fits perfectly but trying to minimise all risk for micro bubbles. I would prefer to use PVC as bunnings dont have hoses fat enough. Might look elsewhere

Also should there be flexible hose immediately in and out of the pump before solid PVC to minimize vibration?

Does anyone else have any tips to reduce noise when plumbing a big return pump?

I am still a novice at this.

Just want to get it all set up with minimal noise and no micro bubbles once and for all, been tinkering with the tanks filtration for ages now it is finally all set up how i want apart from the return pump issues, so need to stop driving my wife crazy spending money and taking up all the weekends.

Thanks for any help guys.