Donny@ageofaquariums

Something new in bulk foods.

Just a heads up that we now stock the Kusuri range of foods at AOA.

clip_image002_thumb_zps65972401.gif

Which includes the Supersilk-20 4-6 mm Pellet in 5kg buckets for $129.95

Probably our most requested food from interstate koi customers is now available.

kusuri_supersilk_koi_pellet.jpg

Whats the big fuss?

Theres 2 big things that make this a game changer.

1) Its a move away from fish meal, with a greatly reduced content.

Since fishmeal uses wild fish stock to feed pet fish, its nice to have another option.

The high cost of fish meal, means reducing its content results in a cheaper to produce food.

Silkworm is tried and trusted to replace it, so its good to see it entering the hobby

Have a look at the link below to see the results with fish, they are towards the end.

An example,

Tilapia (Oreochromis mossambicus)

Tilapia (Oreochromis mossambicus) was able to utilize the protein of both defatted and non-defatted silkworm meal (apparent protein digestilibility of 85-86%) (Hossain et al., 1992).

Silkworm pupae meal | Feedipedia - Animal Feed Resources Information System

While Tilapia are noxious fish, they are also cichlids.

So interesting to see some results for omnivorous fish.

it is expected that the steady rise of fishmeal prices since 2004, totaling 175% between December 2004 and December 2013, will continue into the future. This is primarily due to static supply of wild marine resources used to produce fishmeal facing steadily rising demand.

FAO GLOBEFISH -

So whats in the food?

Silkworm pupae, Fish meal, Shrimp meal, Antarctic krill, Soya, Wheatgerm, Kelp, Propolis, Spirulina, Kusuri Klay, Garlic, Brewers yeast, Fish oil and Optimum, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, stabilised Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Niacin, Riboflavin (Vit B2), Pyridoxine (Vit B6), Thiamine (Vit B1), Biotin (Vit H), Folic acid, Cobalamin (Vit B12), Calcium Panothenate (Vit B6), Dicalcium Phosphate, Inositol, Selenium, Antioxidant, Choline Chloride, Nicotinic Acid, Methionine, Lysine, Magnesium, Zinc, Copper, Iron.

Basic Analysis: Protein 38%, Oil 8%, Fibre 4%, Ash 14%, Moisture 8%.

2) Kusuri Klay.

straight from their website.

This exclusive clay removes stress proteins from the digestive tract of Koi, caused by food left open to airborne spores of fungi and algae. By adding an optimum level of 5% Kusuri Klay, digestibility of food can be improved by up to 22%. Kusuri Foods outperform many other foods on the market today because of this addition.

Basicaly a detox clay for fish.

Because theres nothing worse than a bloated fish with an impaction........

4e8cRandom-LOL-Photos-7-500x375_zps87662596.jpg

Edited by Donny@ageofaquariums

Color enhancers? Astax? Or??

I reckon I might just try this out :)

wells theres plenty of astax type pigments in the krill, shrimp and spirulina.

They are just at more normal doses.

I dont know what it is in the silkworms that helps with colour, but I shall try look into it some more.