justwalk

Tank Mates for Green Terror

Hi All,

I've just found this site and am new to keeping fish. I have a Green terror about 12cm long by himself in the tank at the moment but I am looking at getting him a tank mate.

I was looking for some suggestions on some suitable mates for him?

Thanks

Hi Mate. John has suggested some great tankmates, however I'd advise against adding just one fish. In doing this the GT will see the newcomer as a threat and likely pursue and attack it. In general, aggressive south american and central american cichlids do better in communities of higher numbers of fish. Of course as the fish aren't small a big tank is needed. What size tank do you have?

Hi [MENTION=14043]justwalk[/MENTION]

Welcome to the most addictive hobby there is :)

Just as [MENTION=2304]Eric A[/MENTION] asked...

What size is your tank and also what type if filtration are you running on it?

The answers to the above questions will help others to make more informed suggestions.

Id personally stay away from the Texans....speaking from past and recent experiences.

I previously had a red devil, 2 salvini's and 2 Green terrors.....everything was sweet and pretty peaceful until I added the 2 super green texas then all hell broke loose....they killed my 2 GT's.

Like Ozmo said its going to come down to what size tank you have. Generally if you have a few fish in there they tend to spread the love around and nobody should get picked on too much. Again thats the general theory as long as the tank is of size and there are enough places to be out of line of sight. After a while they will establish their own pecking order and settle down. At least thats my experience

Thanks Guys. [MENTION=6423]Eric[/MENTION]A , [MENTION=5428]ozmo[/MENTION] , [MENTION=3113]mungor[/MENTION] at the moment we have a 92cm x 45 cm x 36cm (approx 155 lts i think) tank. It was given as a gift along with the GT without too much consultation from us but since I posted this thread I have been doing some more reading on here and other sites and looks like we have the bare minimum size for 1 fish (to be honest probably below the minimum) At the moment its fine as the GT at only 10-12cm has plenty of space but obviously into the future we are going to need a larger tank. The guy at the LFS apparently said that size would be fine and suggested that once the GT was settled in that we add another 2.

We were also set up with an Aqua One 103F internal filter.

Should I stick with the one GT at the moment and wait until we size up tanks or could we add extra fish and size up as they grow keeping in mind I will only have space for a 4ft long tank?

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Firstly I'd just like to say that it is really really great to see someone go do some solid research after being presented with feedback. It makes it much easier for people to help and shows that you're committed to providing the best for your animals and that's awesome. Good work!

That tank size is borderline in my opinion. GTs arent the biggest cichlid and a lone fish doesn't require the 'territory' they would if they were housed in a shared (other cichlids) environment. That size tank should be good for a little while to come.

However if you have the desire to add more fish to the mix and create a community you'll need a bigger tank. A 4x2x2 would probably be my minimum for a cichlid community with a GT as the focal fish and 2 pairs of blue eyes/sajica/rainbows/fire mouths (any smaller, less aggressive cichlids) one for each end of the tank, and some dithers in the form of swordtails/platys/larger tetras. You wouldn't add another GT to the tank IMO.

In short, I'd advise against adding more fish (as tempting as it always is to everyone) to the current tank and just stick it out with the GT. Look after it well feed it plenty and grow a show stopper that'll command your eye in a community tank. Then when you're ready to upgrade set up a community and you already have an awesome display fish. In the meantime enjoy the GT, add some dithers (my favourite are 'pineapple' swordtails) so it's used to company and have fun with it.

Hope that helps and answers your questions, I'm trying to reply on my phone and it's not fun haha.

Eric.

Thanks heaps [MENTION=6423]Eric[/MENTION]A. I will look into the dithers as I don't know anything about them.

On a side note, the what we thought was a male GT had been moving things around in its home for the last couple of days and then wouldn't come out yesterday afternoon. Turns out he is a she and started laying her first lot of eggs last night. She has become very territorial to the point of attacking us at the glass. obviously unfertilised.

At the end of the day a female GT is still nothing to scoff at. They are very nice fish in their own respect, just don't have the presence of the males.

You could always get a male later on and pair them up in a 4 foot tank, but just bare in mind the fry may be bothersome to move on (no offence to GT breeders) seeing as they have the potential to raise up to and over 100 fry, and most shops will only want 5-10 if they would take them at all. This would also mean no other cichlids in the tank, but dithers should be fine. That would still be an impressive display IMO.

Something else to consider is that sometimes if a fish is kept alone in a tank for a long time they don't play well when introduced to other fish down the track. If you're definitely looking at up sizing later maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to introduce something else especially if you are thinking that you want to keep the GT in a community down the track. I know that probably throws in another opinion but something to be considered only if you think you would like a larger tank as your end goal.