rejster

Hello from Canada!

Hello All!

Recently moved from Canada to sunny Brissy and am itching to get back into starting a tank!

I love amazonian tanks and am looking to set up a large community tank with mild plantation. In Canada, I kept a range of tetras, corys and plecos in a 30 gal tank. Since I will be getting a much larger tank this time - looking to foray into discus fish alongside the rest.

I have read extensively that Brisbane tap water is alkaline and hard. What is the best way to conduct water changes after maturing the tank to a desired pH (~6.5)? Do I need to add chemicals to each batch of water in a water change? Seems like a tedious process and I am not too fond of chemicals :( Any natural suggestions would be much appreciate for this intermediate level aquarist!

Regards,

Rejster

You've come to the right place :)

I would just add all the chemicals needed to treat the water after you have taken out the desired amount and then just add fresh tap water with a hose.. that will save you adding water to each batch you add.

You should also dose with enough chemicals for the entire tank each time that you're adding water.

There are natural ways to make your water softer... not sure about ph though?

you could add some peat moss to make the water softer... or black water extract but that makes your water look dark :)

Is their clear black water extract now anybody? :P

Thank you all for your replies :) I love aquarium enthusiasts - always willing to help out a newbie!

I dont mind blackwater, my previous tank had a big chunk of driftwood that stained the tank. Initially I was a bit sad but it grew onto me since the fish seem to feel a tad more comfortable.

I am still a bit confused with regards to the water changes and it has been bugging me all day. After my tank is setup and I have a consistent pH, lets say i want to do a 20% water change bi-weekly. From what I've read, I leave the new tap water (with conditioner) to aerate for a day before the planned water change. Do I need to add chemicals to this aged water before pouring it into the tank? :noidea:

In Canada,I just used water conditioner on tap water and dumped it into the tank - no problems. Just wanna make sure I do everything right before I get started :)

Sorry for the amateur questions :help:

Thanks,

Rejster

Just add a declorinator to the water, but remember if adding water strait from the tap to the tank to dose the total volume not the replaced amount. If adding to the bucket with aeration just the volume of the bucket is needed.

Do I need to make the water in the bucket pH the same pH as the tank before pouring it in? Maybe I've been reading too much, read somewhere that adding water thats of different pH during water changes can kill fish :(

Major ph swings cand cause harm. But if say your ph comes out to the tap at 7.6-7.8 and you want ph 6-6.5 leave it in a bucket for 24hr with air stone this should drop the ph a bit to around the 7 mark as the buffers come out a bit through de gas now as long as the temp and the amount of water is not to drastic add the declorinator and away you go

Major ph swings cand cause harm. But if say your ph comes out to the tap at 7.6-7.8 and you want ph 6-6.5 leave it in a bucket for 24hr with air stone this should drop the ph a bit to around the 7 mark as the buffers come out a bit through de gas now as long as the temp and the amount of water is not to drastic add the declorinator and away you go

Thank you very much! 15-20% is all I'll be doing with a drip tube most probably.

Cheers all for the quick advice!

Welcome Rejster!

I am also new to this forum and looking at setting up a 4ft low tech planted discus tank too... possibly with rams, tetras, corys and ottos... and perhaps CRS shrimps as well. Have bought a cheap used 3 ft tank, planning to cut some glass baffles and set up as a refugium/sump as a summer project.

Meanwhile, I just started a 1.5 ft low tech planted shrimp tank with about 15 CRS at the moment. I am using rainwater and use Seachem Prime and it is returning a ph of around 7 measured using paper strips type test kit so may not be very accurate.

Have fun setting up your tank!

JC

I used to use malaysian driftwood but now with other choices like mopani and goldvine, I am undecided. I'm still leaning towards malaysian driftwood as I have heard of 'unsinkable' goldvine. Still yet to find a good source for them at the moment.

I used to use malaysian driftwood but now with other choices like mopani and goldvine, I am undecided. I'm still leaning towards malaysian driftwood as I have heard of 'unsinkable' goldvine. Still yet to find a good source for them at the moment.

If you are ever in the area you should drop into aoa.

We always have good stock levels of wood on hand.

yup theres the Malaysian mangrove....... but its hard to compare them with how awesome the Australian stuff is these days.

Really twisted and organic.

+ priced to sell.

I've been trolling the sponsor sites ever since joining - I even have a parts list so to speak LOL AOA is not too far away from me, might drop in this weekend to have a chat and scope out some driftwood :D

I will be asking you some questions too Donny - hope you are ok with that :)

Yea rockin'

Look forward to watching an epic tank build

!

IMG_8293_zps51b8aef4.jpg

Just thinking over what I was saying about trying not to mix schooling fish.

Think I have changed my mind on that.

That picture shows rummy noses schooling with cardinals............ given tank size having seperate schooling is not unrealistic.

In my experience the schooling fish will often mix. But looking at that tank......... its worth the risk, because it does look very very good.

Neons and rasbora will likely work just as well.

Edited by Donny@ageofaquariums

thats the picture mate..thats what started it all again lol. I used to keep rasboras and neon tetras in a 30 gal tank - I would often see the neons schooling at the back of the tank and the rasboras up at the front!

any idea if there is any difference between orange laser or gold laser corys? they both look very similar to me :noidea: