nativecollector

Starphire Planted Aquarium Journal 1500 x 500 x 500

Starting a new planted aquarium after selling my previous tank last year to renovate the house. Thought I would throw up a journal to track progress etc. Won't be anything flash, but it'll be nice to have some water in the house again. Was originally going to go low tech, but thought I'd better do it properly to save regretting something later.

The Tech Den have been brilliant with everything I've purchased there - super fast shipping and great service / products. Highly recommend them!

Tank: 1500 x 500 x 500 rimless starphire front and sides (back to be painted black) with beveled polished edges.

Cabinet: Sideboard that I was allowed to put a tank on - solid as

Lighting: 1 x Kessil Amazon Sun 150WE over one end and my old Hagen Glo T5 HO 39W over the other end (to be replaced with another 2 x Amazon Suns when I can justify the cost). Both ceiling mounted.

Filter: Ehiem 2078 3e with Ehiem media kit. Filter will enter tank through loc-line outlet and drain via stainless strainer (all drilled through back of tank).

Heater: 300W Hydor in-line

UV Sterilizer: Aqua One Cleartec 19W

C02: Standard C02PRO Compact kit with 2 x 0.82L bottles with Ista in-line reactor/diffuser

Substrate: 9L ADA Malaya Aqua Soil (large granule) and 9L of the Malaya powder plus 24kg ADA La Plata sand as well as Dino Dung and APA plant tabs. May need more of the Malaya now that the design has progressed.

Liquid Ferts: Seachem range although starting to lean towards Easy-Life range from The Tech Den.

Hardscape: Driftwood and Tibetan mountain rock.

Plants: Still to be decided - mostly low maintenance sort of plants, java ferns etc. Won't be heavily planted.

Stock: Still to be decided - maybe some L134 and an Apisto pair or two and then some discus later on.

Couple photos of where I'm at (silicone job has been tidied up since):

photo1_zpsdcbe002d.jpg

photo2_zpsa67ac401.jpg

Still got a bit to get done before I can get it turning over...

Edited by nativecollector

amazing driftwood piece, excited to see how it all comes out :) Some Singapore moss would look awesome growing around the driftwood!

what are you using to paint the background?

Yeah bit of a score the driftwood piece, although I'm hoping it won't overpower the scape. Have spent ages sanding it and pressure spraying it to get rid of old algae. I just roll on gloss black acrylic for background, works well.

Hoping this tank won't be so high maintenance as the previous one, so there won't be so many stemmed plants.

Painted the back today - did 5 or 6 coats just to use the paint up, came up alright. Love how natural the light from the Kessil is, although the fan noise is irritating. Also threw a few load bearing studs under the floor joists on some bricks to help take a bit of the load.

photo12_zps4d6ff3c6.jpg

photo32_zps31642834.jpg

photo22_zpsf64efc26.jpg

photo2_zpsd9e57a3d.jpg

Where do you get your driftwood from bud?

All from the forum, the big piece was from chickadee.

How did you drill your Drainage hole so perfectly???

I got chips on the other end when I did mine

I didn't drill them :ewink: ... had the tank builder do them to save me the trouble. Any imperfections won't be seen with bulkheads on.

32d15b825642938f0b93dcc837e5a61b_zpsbe683fb3.jpg

4440cd980ef8e10c165db494e00e9c40_zps048abdbd.jpg

Edited by nativecollector

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but the tank looks terrible in your place, it would look a lot better here with me :noidea:

This will be a great tank when finished.

yer I agree... that driftwood especially just really isn't working for you... id be happy to dispose of it for you

No interesting updates yet - still waiting on filter and heater to get it going.

A couple photos of alternative driftwood positions below. If I go this way with driftwood above water line, I will grow a creeping fig on the exposed branches (sample in 2nd photo).

Option 1

photo2_zps6ad03737.jpg

Option 2

photo3_zps46755b48.jpg

Leaning towards Option 2. Option 1 is a little unbalanced. With the large piece extending out of the water I get plenty of open swimming space plus the benefit of keeping the driftwood which would otherwise dwarf the tank. May still lay larger piece on less of an angle so not so much is up in the air.

All from the forum, the big piece was from chickadee.

I didn't drill them :ewink: ... had the tank builder do them to save me the trouble. Any imperfections won't be seen with bulkheads on.

32d15b825642938f0b93dcc837e5a61b_zpsbe683fb3.jpg

4440cd980ef8e10c165db494e00e9c40_zps048abdbd.jpg

Love this build, next tank I do will be plumbed the same way!!!

Clean tidy and arranged....

Woow option 2 FTW! How big are those Co2Pro tanks? Me thinks you will burn through them pretty quick on a tank that size

They're only 0.82L...can always upgrade later on, but I only used 3/4 of one tank in 6 months on a stumped 3 foot so I might get away with it.... Plus only low maintenance plants so I won't be injecting huge amounts. I just like size of the tanks, means I don't have to completely mutilate the cabinet.

Still hanging out for my filter, last piece of the puzzle to get it running.