nativecollector

Starphire Planted Aquarium Journal 1500 x 500 x 500

Quick update...

Filter arrived and I got the thing running yesterday. Only one small leak out of 12ish connections which seems to have stopped now anyway (should have put more thread tape on).

Bit underwhelmed by the look of the thing, hopefully I'll cheer up once it's cleared, the driftwood is water logged, more plants and fish arrive etc. Plus the ugly HO T5 lights don't help matters. Still need to sort lights obviously.

Managed to crack a handle on it, doesn't affect anything but still annoying.

photo1_zps6faa60e3.jpg

Didn't start filling until late arv after spending all day setting it up.

photo2_zps17c777fe.jpg

La plata sand was filthy stuff, but surprisingly it filled pretty clear with hose in bag / container trick.

photo3_zps1f578f86.jpg

Bacterial bloom overnight has clouded the view a bit.

photo4_zpsa7d0a9d1.jpg

And a shot of the engine room.

photo5_zps721b8c27.jpg

mate setup looks absolutely awesome..... starfire is the way to go these days with display tanks. i can get this glass cheap but most people still complain the price a standard 6x2x2 in float glass at $350, i gave up

looks now as your growing to the roof... top build

:beer: mike

mate setup looks absolutely awesome..... starfire is the way to go these days with display tanks. i can get this glass cheap but most people still complain the price a standard 6x2x2 in float glass at $350, i gave up

whats a 6x2x2 worth in starfire glass mike ? if the price was right i would surely scrap my current g maher 6x2 (which the glass is scratched terribly from previous owner) and replace with starfire!

-pm me : )

Also love the build mate, but the scape with the wood looks a little different to option 2 in previous posting!!

Aww yess, coming along very nicely!

Lovely to see the driftwood break the surface. If you haven't already, check out Adrian's work at Exotic Aquatic. Some of his latest scapes include bonsai figs, ferns, bromeliads and cattleya orchids that are all grown on the same driftwood that breaks the surface.

whats a 6x2x2 worth in starfire glass mike ? if the price was right i would surely scrap my current g maher 6x2 (which the glass is scratched terribly from previous owner) and replace with starfire!

Also love the build mate, but the scape with the wood looks a little different to option 2 in previous posting!!

im over it mate......... already done my good deed to people on QLDAF many time over and over again...

will now concentrate on house to renovate and sell ans make the real $$$$$$$$$$$$

cheers mike

'

Thanks mate. Yeah starphire isn't that much extra for a far nicer look. Can't wait until the tank's cleared up so I can see it in action properly.

Cheers. I mucked the driftwood up, couldn't replicate what I had in option 2 (it's 3 big pieces and heaps of smaller goldvine all poked together). Plus when I filled the tank, the whole lot floated, so when it's waterlogged I'll have another crack at getting it right.

Aww yess, coming along very nicely!

Lovely to see the driftwood break the surface. If you haven't already, check out Adrian's work at Exotic Aquatic. Some of his latest scapes include bonsai figs, ferns, bromeliads and cattleya orchids that are all grown on the same driftwood that breaks the surface.

Thanks John! appreciate the heads up on Adrian's work - very inspirational, hope to replicate a little of what he has done.

Quick update.

Bought a second Kessil, awesome lights now that I'm over the racket they make. Also purchased an Ehiem skimmer which is fantastic for taking the scum off the top of the water. Thanks to Tech Den for these purchases.

Massive algae blooms of all descriptions happening.

Timber still floating so no scaping has been done. Plants are just poked here and there for now.

A school of 100 or so tiny fry have turned up from nowhere (still in fishless cycle). Photo below - can hardly see them in top left.

photo2_zps102138c7.jpg

photo3_zpsf30bd33c.jpg

photo1_zps1116d34f.jpg

Bit of a tidy up today, timber STILL floating so there's the odd rock to weigh things done but it's basically the final scape. Added 2 x red lizard whips. Chasing peacock gudgeons, but noone has them available it seems.

photo_zpscb05555e.jpg

Looking good man.... you should check out the snakehead gudgeons from Mappins... would look awesome in there!

[MENTION=3116]nativecollector[/MENTION]

Understand I am not sucking up here.

Need to make that clear.

You have created some art here, and while I want to see incisus with redline torpedo barbs........ or maybe flame tetra.

I think that peacock gudgeons are going to blend a lot of fun into this scape.

And with a small school, perhaps of the immaculate conception fry......... its destined to be something that would not be out of place in an ADA calendar.

im over it mate......... already done my good deed to people on QLDAF many time over and over again...

will now concentrate on house to renovate and sell ans make the real $$$$$$$$$$$$

cheers mike

It is a pity, I just scratched my tank terribly and start to save for a tank. Will you do tank for $ Mike?

Just to keep up with nativeowner and I know that I can't keep up with his arts... So beautiful setup, layout and lighting

I think that peacock gudgeons are going to blend a lot of fun into this scape.

Couldn't have said it better myself - picked up 7 today from Mappins, they're such cool little fish. Will get some photos when they're properly settled in. I'd like a school of the blue-eyes or glass fish (or something from Aqua Green) to give it a semi native / PNG feel. Rainbows are a possibility, although I want to be careful with keeping fish in scale with the scape.

All the mysterious fry disappeared, I wasn't really set up to raise them. I think they were rainbows (eggs came in on plants).

3 gudgeons have already jumped, so I'm trying to work out how to screen the tank without making it look average. 2 have paired up and look like breeding in the near future.

Praecox rainbows are most likely the next addition.

Couple of clearer, updated photos:

FullTankShot_zpsba364548.jpg

DSC_0052_zpsc7775766.jpg

Is it the forum capitals problem causing Photobucket links to die?

This is how this tank ended up before decommissioning:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73847[/ATTACH]

Wow that's an awesome set up. Top job indeed.