Lozzie

Swim bladder issues?

I bought a small (about 8cms including tail)black and orange oranda from the LFS this morning (not much in the wen department, but still a cutie). I didn't watch him long enough at the store, and within seconds of getting him in to the quarantine tank I knew he had a problem.

The poor little guy keeps head standing to the point of backflips. He's not floating at the surface though. Staying near the bottom of the tank.

I took him straight back to the shop, they tested my water which was all fine (PH 6.9, 0 to nitrates, nitrites and ammonia FYI ). They gave me refund. The store isn't 'fish dedicated' so I didn't think they would try and get him to recover. I offered to give it a shot..... So they gave him back to me free of charge.

I've given him a couple of shelled peas which he devoured, and he's in a small tank (about 30L) with a sponge filter that's all juicy with good bacteria (I keep it running in my larger tanks for occasions like this). I'll do 50% water changes daily for him - I'm in the country on tank water - so no extra chemicals/conditioner used. It's been about 7 hours since the peas, and he looks worse. How long does it take for peas to help? Would a salt bath be worth a shot? And if so, what ratio?

I've never had to deal with swim bladder disease before - any suggestions would be most appreciated.

I don't think today was my lucky day for fish, I picked up a black ranchu from the other LFS in town, and didn't notice he had an eye missing till I got home! They offered to swap him over, but I'm kinda attached now, and obviously I'm a sap for 'damaged goods'.

when your dealing with internal issues, sometimes it can get a bit tricky as you cannot see. for swim bladder its best to feed him on peas skin off for at least 3 days. untill you see the green poop.

if hes poop is white stringy, you clearly are dealing with something other than just swim bladder. it could just be a side effect of something more serious.

Thanks for the reply belcamp1 , I've tried fasting, peas, (he's been pooping normally since he arrived, but I figured it it wouldn't hurt, so had lots of green poop) then Epsom salt bath, although I read that's for constipation too, so it was a long shot.

I went into the LFS a couple of days after purchasing him, and the entire tank of orandas were behaving like my guy. So after much online research I believe it either an entire tank full of fish with bad genetics (I think unlikely) or nitrite poisoning. That LFS always seems to have crook and dying fish......I think the worst bit is that when I was in there'd and saw the entire tank swimming crazily, instead of quarantining them they had 'super hot sale 30% off. Very dodgy!

I'm still persevering, he's happily eating, and is getting really hand friendly. If you set him upright (he a sinker on his side now, rather than head standing like the video) he'll go for a perky little swim around his container.

If anyone has further suggestions I'm happy to try anything, he's still seems happy, so I'm holding off on euthanising it until he stops eating, shows stress, or gets a secondary illness/symptom.

I'm contemplating rigging up a 'wheelchair' for him, but perhaps that's just too crazy ;) these people have done it, I wonder how long their fishes have survived for like that.

post-14067-14711632333997_thumb.jpg

post-14067-14711632334161_thumb.jpg

post-14067-14711632334248_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the patience too, I'm only a newbie to the forum and fancy goodies, I realise now I should have chucked this up in the sick fish section.

Unfortunately that does look like a swim bladder issue. It is hard to get good goldfish in Australia and we often get sent the culls, or what should have been culls, hence you might get a tank where all or most fish are affected. There really isn't anything that can be done - I have had a few live head down for several years and seem quite happy, but once they are on their side it's much harder as they'll get infections in the area they lie on. That is the same problem with the harnesses - they rub on the fish and cause skin breakdown which inevitably leads to infection. As long as he doesn't seem to be suffering you can keep him but obviously there will come a point where it will be kinder to euthanise. :( I wish I had better news.