BlueOpal

Total colour change.....

OK, so firstly a bit of a backstory on this little guy....

So his dad is a pure sky blue quadricarinatus and his mum is a normal quadricarinatus. A few months ago he got attacked and had everything ripped off him so he has been in a holding tank alone for at least 3 months waiting for the next molt. All of the babies from that adult pair came out dark. Every single one. There were some massive colour variations but not a single one came out with any of the pale colourings of the father in any form. Today I went to check on this guy and freaked out. He has molted from a dark brown to a sky blue. Complete colour change without any of the dark colours of the mother at all. None of the other babies have ever done this.

I thought it was incredibly cool and wanted to share some pics :)

post-7886-14711632276004_thumb.jpg

post-7886-14711632276206_thumb.jpg

post-7886-14711632276504_thumb.jpg

Not uncommon. Crayfish do change colour when the moult. Crystal clear water will encourage brighter colouration. Dirty water and a muddy base will encourage darker colour. Common yabbies can be very blue and green in clear water. Cheers

Edited by none

All my tanks have crystal clear water and the water parameters in each tank are the same. I had more than 100 babies from this batch reach over 6cm in size while in my tanks and not a single other baby had this happen. In any tank. I have had them molt and come out a more pale version of the original colour or slight variation ....but this is the most extreme colour change I have seen.

The dad is a sky blue aussie opal. This colour strain is genetic and stable and not a result of water conditions or food which is why the colour change was so interesting to me.

Have you ever put

Subject: Cherax quadricarinatus: More New Pics 4/19/11

into google before?

horror thread of the colour changing the other way!

The body of Redclaw Crayfish range from dark brown to blue-green. The blue color seems to intensify when the water is clean, and be more green, or brown when left in brackish water.

Cherax quadricarinatus - Redclaw Crayfish | Tropical Fish | Diszhal.info

Edited by Donny@ageofaquariums

The mother of this baby was like the one in that thread you posted. When I got her as a baby she was a deep electric blue and after the first molt she got darker and darker till she was the normal redclaw she is now. The dad isn't an electric blue yabby. He has never been dark or had any red on him in any way. The claws of the sky blue redclaw stay white/pale blue regardless of sex/age. I guess I was wondering if this little guy would stay a dark blue and have the dark blue/red claws of the normal type or if he had changed from being a normal type to an opal and would stay pale and not develop any red on his claws like dad.

hey mate i would say its 100% from being raised in a tank my young somerset redclaw were the same color as my opals when raised in a tank. i know the aussie opals are genetic but thats the colour my normal redclaw were grown up in tanks,never got to see them as they grew up tho.

i made a post about it years ago on crayfish mates, you can also see pics of a sydney spiny crayfish that turned out a deep solid blue after a moult in the tank.

anyway better add a pic of one of my past aussie opals.

post-6570-14711632280405_thumb.jpg

my male opal only got better losing any transparency and truly getting a brilliant shine, really like a gem stone.

one day i'll breed these again and sell the big boys they really are spectacular.

cheers

mick

They sure are amazing looking. Its good to see someone else with them :) I'm going to be breeding more of the pure opals in the next few months.... Im just having a bit of a break from it. I'm down to 4 tanks and quite enjoying how low maintenance things are at the moment. The mother of the dude in original pic is my only normal yabby. My other 20 are all opals :)

Edited by BlueOpal

Wow those colours are amazing.15 of the opals are still small and wont be ready to breed till next xmas, I just kept a few back from the last lot just in case I couldnt find any more. Heres a pic of my normal redclaw

post-7886-14711632281951_thumb.jpg

Edited by BlueOpal

few old pics of mine i tracked down

IMG_1245.jpg

P9280565.jpg

and these next ones are not mine but courtesy of crayfish mates

a male, looks like my male after i had him for a bit and what i was trying to describe earlier

gallery_1_27_50279.jpg

an opal cross normal

gallery_1_27_130567.jpg

and just for fun tony abbot getting into the crayfish action

417__500x_Paul20and20Tony.jpg