lgw

Mbuna

I recently stocked my tank with some mbuna and figured I'd start up a thread so I can post some progress/growth updates.

The set up is a 5'x18"x20" tank, 4'x15"x18" sump with filter socks for mechanical, marine pure spheres for biological, 2500lph jebao pump and a 300 watt eheim jäger heater.

As for stock I currently have;

6 Labidochromis Caeruleus ( electric yellow )

5 Metriaclima Estherae ( red zebra )

5 Metriaclima Callainos ( cobalt blue )

5 Pseudotropheus sp. Acei ( yellow tail acei )

For now...

http://youtu.be/eAwDIEUTYu4

Thanks guys

I need you to come visit my fish room and help me get some happy snaps, bought 1 of these flash cameras butttttt no idea how to use it hahaha!!

My mrs did a photography course and tried to teach me how to use the camera, about depth of field, aperture etc etc.

Went in one ear and out the other, I ended just googling what everything does and winging it haha

Thanks guys

My mrs did a photography course and tried to teach me how to use the camera, about depth of field, aperture etc etc.

Went in one ear and out the other, I ended just googling what everything does and winging it haha

Hahaha i love winging things always turns out perfect!!

My dominant red zeb went on a rampage recently, killing one of the females. He was growing twice as fast as the rest and was twice the size of some tank mates. I've had him living in the sump for a week or so and the tank had chilled out drastically. So, he's sold and gone to a new home.

I've done a rescape, removing most of the rocks due to too much poopy build up for my liking. Most of you won't like the new look, but I enjoy just watching the fish.

I also added a k1 (boss) section to the sump months ago which has been tumbling away nicely.

Hoping to take some shots or a video tonight depending on how the beer flow goes....

The tank has been plodding along nicely, no real aggression issues other than the usual spawning shenanigans. I've found the red zebs to be the most aggressive species in the tank, especially amongst themselves.

As for dominance, I can't pick one fish at the moment. They seem to have a dominant male for each species.

They all seem to be growing at a decent rate, with the males gaining size a lot quicker than the females. This is probably due to the females holding eggs and not eating for however many weeks.

I've been doing 2 water changes a week, varying from 30-50% per change to keep the nitrates to a minimum.

Video to come soon.....

Another one bites the dust...

Lost the smallest of the cobalts the other day, it was always the smallest of the lot and never seemed to thrive as much as the others. I found it belly up with no sign of damage and no water parameter issues. :noidea:

It was the fish that seems to linger around the rocks in the middle in the above video.

All other fish are doing fine, currently 4-5 of them are holding after the recent storms :beer: