Hi everyone,

I bought some angels online and noticed they had tiny red worms coming out of their butthole when I got them. I treated them yesterday with blue planet fluke and tapeworm tablets as per the instructions on the bottle. As yet it doesn't seem to have made any difference still worms there. I have them in a bare bottom hospital tank with a sponge filter and tank is at 28 degrees.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers Ryan

They would be camullanus worms.

You need to some really strong stuff to get rid off them, i have used a combination of panacur 25 and big L.

They are sheep and pig workers.

From memory panacur is used at 1ml per 40L and big L is 1ml per 7L.

They are a nasty worm and will eventually kill.

Cheers mick

Don't worry about the Panacur 25, just get the Big L and use it.

As Mick said, 1 ml per 7 liters and you should start to see the worms on the bottom of the tank with 2-3 hours.

You will also need to siphon out the worms before the fish eat them.

Treat 3 times and about 2 weeks between treatments.

You will get the Big L at most produce stores.

How quick do these things kill your fish? I just got back to work and won't get home till the 17th. I'm lucky to get my wife to feed my fish let alone treat diseases and suck the tank out.

Heya Mick yea I am still around.

No fish though, I just started listing some of my racks and tanks today as it is time to clean out the fish room.

End of an era mate.

Buckshot your fish should be fine for another 10 days.

Your biggest concern is a secondary bacterial infection once you remove the worms from the fish.

Some food soaked in metronide is always a safe bet after treatment.

More questions guys, so I've added the big l and it seems to be working. I watched a few worms come out of my angels. I sucked them and all the poo out of the tank, about 15 litres all up, when I refill the tank after the water change do I add more big L to bring the concentration back up to 1ml every 7 litres or just leave it and treat them again in 2 weeks? My wife is getting some metronide tomorrow so should I treat them with them tomorrow??

Cheers for your help guys.

Make sure u are not using the pour on big l as its levamisole base and its like 20 times stronger than levamisole hcl, i almost nuked my 7 foot 3 weeks back with it, wasnt fun lol. Also take advice from donny and use kne medication at a time. I used a lot at one and the results are drugged out skittish and dangerous goofy fish. Ehen u have dosed the levamisole. Suck the worms out and change the water and redose with panacur 25 with fenbenzadole, then change the water again and dont dose with panacur 25 for another 2 and a half weeks to get any little buggers u have missed and amy cists or eggs

Thats the medication i used in the end and i have eradicated all worms from my tank, well so it seems, u wanna punch these little guys in the face, so use all ur power as goku wud say haha.

Ok guys I have wormed the angels with big L 3 times 2 weeks apart and they seem to have gotten rid of all the worms, 3 of them are going great guns and seem back to 100%, they attack the food and are really greedy, I have treated these ones with the metronide soaked blood worms.

but the biggest one seems very quiet and hardly seems to eat at all one of the other angels (the second biggest one) picks on it especially at feeding time. Do you think I should take the others out and put them back in my community tank and see if I can the biggest angel to eat if he is in the tank by himself? The worms are gone but would like to get it eating properly and to eat some metronide before I put it back in with the others.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Yep if the cause is stress from another aggressive fish, removing the big one from that stress is the best choice.

I would consider doing a tank rescape before adding the big one back to the display though.

It might help prevent too much aggression on its first day back at school.

Always reliable Donny, I will have to buy you a beer one day. It still doesn't seem 100% the one that isn't eating very well swims with it's left pectoral fin stuck by its side while it uses the other one normally. It looks healthy otherwise, what is that a sign of normally? Or is it nothing to worry about?