Bear

How many bags?

personally i like to keep sand with african cichlids as they like to move it around and dig holes and such.

you can get 20k bags of play sand from bunnings for like $10 or around there just have to wash it a bit before adding to the tank

OR

you can get coral sand or calcium carbonate sand from pet stores or some people on here sell it too but this can be a little more expensive i think its like $20 for 10 kg but this will raise the Ph to what african cichlids like

For a 4x18x18 I would be shooting for about 35Kg of substrate, give or take 5Kg. If you end up going for the 9Kg bags of whatever you have chosen, I'd go for 3 bags (27Kg) to start with. I think the covering would be a little thin, but its not hard to add a fourth and final 9Kg bag if needed, but if you start with 3 you might find it is enough and save yourself some extra dosh (unless its an absolute mission to get to the retailer to purchase the stuff in which case the gamble on the fourth bag could be worth it in time.)

Has anyone tried cal-grit? I used in my turtle tank as a buffer, its crushed limestone for poultry feed, best part its only $7 for a 20kg bag from any produce store.

http://www.advantagemud.com/documents/Pds/Lost%20Circulation%20Material/Cal%20Carb%20-%20Supercal.pdf

post-12587-14711632381132_thumb.jpg

Edited by danceswithdingoes

Has anyone tried cal-grit? I used in my turtle tank as a buffer, its crushed limestone for poultry feed, best part its only $7 for a 20kg bag from any produce store.

http://www.advantagemud.com/documents/Pds/Lost%20Circulation%20Material/Cal%20Carb%20-%20Supercal.pdf

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56288[/ATTACH]

I'm very curious to see if anyone has used this in an African tank. Reason being I'm setting on a 120 gallon shortly and if this works(even with raising Ph) then I'd have to go this route. It would save me just under $100.

Hi all, I've got white crushed coral biggest bag I could find mixed in with

white play sand from bunnings or any landscape supplier x3..

If you do a search on hear there is plenty of posts about different substrate

for africans, also there is plenty of people telling u to wash the hell out of the

sand as it's never to clean. When you think you have washed it do it all over

again as it's dirty stuff that white play sand.. My frontosa's do move it around

a bit with no problem to them or the tank, just make sure you have room

from the bottom of your inlet part of your filters as the sand might get sucked up..

Btw in my opinion you can never really have to much substrate..

Cheers