dragonboy69

Help needed please.

Hi I have a reptile thermostat that has a maximum load of 1200w. So I want to run all my tanks up to a set temperature for breeding. I'm wanting to run say a total of 12 x 50w aquarium heaters off that thermostat. So does that mean I could run more as long as the combine total doesn't exceed the 1200w or should I to be safe side and not to exceed 1000w to be safe. If I can run 12 is it safe to get a 6 point power board with double adaptor on each or is that dangerous. Help wanted before I do something that I will end up regretting.

Hi I have a reptile thermostat that has a maximum load of 1200w. So I want to run all my tanks up to a set temperature for breeding. I'm wanting to run say a total of 12 x 50w aquarium heaters off that thermostat. So does that mean I could run more as long as the combine total doesn't exceed the 1200w or should I to be safe side and not to exceed 1000w to be safe. If I can run 12 is it safe to get a 6 point power board with double adaptor on each or is that dangerous. Help wanted before I do something that I will end up regretting.

It will depend on your heaters. Just because the heater is stamped 50W on the cover doesn't mean it won't draw more. You need to measure the actual load with a small meter - about $15 from Bunnings or any electrical supply.

It will depend on your heaters. Just because the heater is stamped 50W on the cover doesn't mean it won't draw more. You need to measure the actual load with a small meter - about $15 from Bunnings or any electrical supply.
so how would I measure the heaters. I think I'd be better off going of heat cords wouldn't I.
Are the tanks on a system? ie. all running to a sump?

If so just run 1 or 2 heaters in the sump.

No not running of a sump. Just running numerous same size tanks to hopefully breed bettas.

No I can't heat the room sorry. I'm thinking to run say2 heat cords per shelf which should house 5 tanks per shelf. The shelfs are 120cm long tanks are 40cm x 25cm x 25cmim placing the tanks the 40cm front to back on shelf.

Edited by dragonboy69

To measure you plug the meter into the powerpoint and all the devices into the meter to obtain total draw.

If you use a thermostat to run heat cords then they are either all on or all off. So placement of your sensor will be critical. Some tanks will run hotter than others this way. Heat cords may not be able to raise water temperature to what you need and will constantly be on.

The tanks are quite small so you could run individual 25watt aquarium heaters in each. Or use a water bridge between tanks so water circulates through which allows you to use just one heater per system. Or place the tanks into a single water filled tray to heat.

On smaller racks, you could also enclose the whole stand in polystyrene (think enclosed cupboard) to improve efficiency. You would only need to heat every second tank that way.

Winter is only about 8-10 weeks of cold weather. Why don't you place all the fighters into one or two large divided tanks just for winter.

The tanks are quite small so you could run individual 25watt aquarium heaters in each. Or use a water bridge between tanks so water circulates through which allows you to use just one heater per system. Or place the tanks into a single water filled tray to heat.

How could I do this a water bride. Do you have a diagram or video of how to do it or of 1 in use.