brock

Filthy turtle tank

<BR><BR>Hi all I am currently working on house and in the garage there is a 3 foot turtle tank with quite a large turtle in it.The tank is just absolutely filthy they have filters but they are not hooked up or working The poor thing just doesn't look happy at all...I'm just wondering if there is a place I can call to report it? I don't usually do this stuff but I know it's gonna bother me if I just leave it.

Cheers

Why don't you talk to the owners first?

Just because a tank is dirty doesn't mean it is bad for the turtle. I've seen wild turtles in putrid stagnant mud holes covered in leeches that were healthy and I've also seen sick turtles in pristine (over cleaned) tanks. Don't forget we are just coming out of winter so unheated turtles will be quite sluggish and slow.

I am not saying the turtle is fine, I am saying it is best to know the full situation before reporting things.

And majority of animals can't get re-homed by the RSPCA and these will all be euthanased.

Tough call...don't want to upset a client and don't like seeing possible cruel animal keeping....I know put the client in the tank ( make sure the clients legs and spine are bent in the most uncomfortable way possible, making sure you make a clean break between c1 and c2)and take the turtle home.....may seem very harsh but I just hate seeing a dirty tank....

Edited by tamiya

Tough call...don't want to upset a client and don't like seeing possible cruel animal keeping....I know put the client in the tank ( make sure the clients legs and spine are bent in the most uncomfortable way possible, making sure you make a clean break between c1 and c2)and take the turtle home.....may seem very harsh but I just the seeing a dirty tank....

That sounds like a exilent idea, just make sure that you compleatle sever the spinal cord at between c1-c2 so they don't breath any dirty tank water in

Why don't you talk to the owners first?

Just because a tank is dirty doesn't mean it is bad for the turtle. I've seen wild turtles in putrid stagnant mud holes covered in leeches that were healthy and I've also seen sick turtles in pristine (over cleaned) tanks. Don't forget we are just coming out of winter so unheated turtles will be quite sluggish and slow.

I am not saying the turtle is fine, I am saying it is best to know the full situation before reporting things.

And majority of animals can't get re-homed by the RSPCA and these will all be euthanased.

That's not true the RSPCA gets clearance from the DERM re the native animals and then they are made available for adoption . If not it is DERM's decision what to do with them not RSPCA. There is a fantastic facility for wildlife at Wacol now . Yes I know I volunteer there .