Stoney

Garage door insulation ideas

Hi everyone,

We had our first glimpse of what the summer holds today and it reminded me that I had to get my butt into gear and insulate the garage door. I have read a few posts that mention the use of styrofoam or foil insulation but wondered if anyone had any other ideas.

I also need to know where to buy the stuff. Styrofoam is easy (Clark Rubber) but other insulation not so easy. I went to Bunnings and Masters and they just looked at me blankly. Although the Bunnings guy did show me stuff imported from the US which just resembled thin tin foil you would buy from Coles with an extremely large price increase.

So I guess I am asking if anyone has some really good insulation ideas and most importantly where to buy it.

Thanks in advance.

Seriously having done this myself . Don't go to Clark rubber unless you want to be robbed. Take your measurments and call Polystyrene Products Queensland in Acaia Ridge, with your measurements, most panel doors can take 30 mm thick polystyrene, I have the bubble foil kit from bunnings against the metal panel and then the polysyrene against that. It keeps the heat in during winter and keeps the heat out in the summer. Make sure you have about ½ a dozen tubes of plumbers silicon and sufficent double sided tape, sand paper, a stanley knife, a dusk mask and good vacum cleaner on standby.

I would also suggest a whirly bird in the garage ceiling with a lockable vent which you can seal off in winter and open in summer. Moreover inuslate your garage ceiling aswell with batts and sarking other wise you are just wasting your time. The bubble foil stuff is a special order product from Bunnings

Reflecta GDI

There is a shop in Indooropilly Shopping town that is a Japanese discount store that sells foam back rolls of foil insulation for about $4 a roll about 1.5 m wide, you can then cut that to fit over the polystyrene panels to really seal it off. I find that each panel has a metal lip that still bleeds heat and cold in and out of the garage, i.e if I put a heat gun on the polystyrene it reads a snug 24 degrees, but just below it where the metal lip of the panel wraps around it can hit a frosty 10 degrees on a cold night. Now if you have 16 panels with two metal lips top and bottom running about a metre each x 4cm add that up and it is a lot of surface area still uninsulated, hence why I will add the Japanese foil.

Concrete floors that are unpainted or uncovered can transfer enormous amount of heat/cold. Consider painting with garage paint, or add a off cut low pile carpet from a carpet shop.

Edited by grubby

Wow thanks guys for the quick response. [MENTION=5332]lloydashton[/MENTION] do you remember what the stuff was actually called as the Bunnings guy looked at me as if I was from another planet. I guess I should go back and ask someone else.

Thanks [MENTION=916]litigator666[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3726]grubby[/MENTION] I will definitely be implementing those ideas. So grubby the stuff from Bunnings is a special order eh? The reason I'm thinking Bunnings and Clark Rubber is that although they are expensive they are only down the road from me. I live up near Caboolture so all those wonderful Southside shops you guys are talking about is a bit out of the way. Although I may have to reconsider and take a trip down.

Thanks guys.

Wow thanks guys for the quick response. [MENTION=5332]lloydashton[/MENTION] do you remember what the stuff was actually called as the Bunnings guy looked at me as if I was from another planet. I guess I should go back and ask someone else.

Thanks [MENTION=916]litigator666[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3726]grubby[/MENTION] I will definitely be implementing those ideas. So grubby the stuff from Bunnings is a special order eh? The reason I'm thinking Bunnings and Clark Rubber is that although they are expensive they are only down the road from me. I live up near Caboolture so all those wonderful Southside shops you guys are talking about is a bit out of the way. Although I may have to reconsider and take a trip down.

Thanks guys.

I used the same as Grubby. same method aswell. It was just called Garage door insulation kit, it came in a single size or double. I did have to call 5 different bunnings until i found one that had it otherwise they would have to order it in.