Lx087

Purple spotted gudgeons

post-14222-14711632359876_thumb.jpg

Hi guys, not sure if these pics uploaded properly. I have purple spotted gudgeons in my tank, is anybody able to id them for me as to whether they are northern or southern purple spotted gudgeons?

Thanks

post-14222-14711632359635_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lx087

Not northern but I always assumed the ones we caught in Gladstone were adspersa

In NSW they are on the endangered list

No different sub species - sent some to ichtyologist - definitely not adspersa. When they are full grown look more like Northern Trout (M.mogurnda) than adspersa. It's possible adspersa is in Gladtone too.. but the photo looks like the ones found between Gladstone and Biloela - Mogurnda sp., not yet described. Interesting about NSW adspersa listing - locally abundant in QLD though.

Edited by none

"Purple Spotted Gudgeons" really need to be treated in the same way as Rainbows in the trade. I.e: Mogurnda sp., .......... ck. I believe there may be a dozen species of Mogurnda currently being assigned incorrectly to two species. As with Rainbows there are dramatic geographic differences in populations and these variations need to be recognised and protected. Just as rainbow varieties are always identified with their origin - "Purple Spots" should be too.

In relation to the sub-species from Gladstone - these fish are EXTREMELY aggressive. I have bred these fish. Fry at just 1.5cm long kill each other even in a large tank - 4x2. Not viable to breed due to their aggression. I maintain the species - to protect it. But due to its aggression it is not a viable aquarium species. It is of concern that we may be losing species we don't even know we have. Far more scientific work needs to be done in this field.

I agree with what none said above - ie/ don't worry too much about species - but treat each catchment/drainage as independent species/sub-species. This goes for almost all Australian and PNG species as very few of them are ubiquitous - particularly now that genetic analysis is showing some species (like the crimson spot rainbowfish - M. duboulayi) has more genetic diversity between examples in the Pine River and those in the Brisbane, than what humans have with chimps. Yet, both look the same.

Ta

Graeme

Thanks for the info guys, I have my purple spotted gudgeons in a tank with Rainbows and Empire gudgeons, they all get along well. Maybe u guys can help me identify what type of Rainbows I have

Here is one of my rainbow fish approx 10cm long. Any idea's what species of rainbow it is?

Eastern Rainbowfish - Melanotaenia splendida splendida , assuming it was caught around Gladstone

I breed Boyne river variation caught at Pikes crossing

eastern222.jpg

Edited by rainbowrunner

Yeh caught in Beecher creek, So will mine grow to look like the photo above? Oh true i never thought to try pikes crossing.

that still image of HDvideo was taken in a pond with plenty of vegetation and the fish was in full breeding display mode also he was selected from a group specifically for his colour, doubt he would colour up like that in a tank