Sign in to follow this  
storm69

Humphead Question?

hi I bought a couple of humpheads from lfs a while back as fry and after watching them grow I have noticed they have very different dorsal fins both are male one has a short dorsal fin that stops about half way along the tail fin the other much longer going past the tail fin and tapering off to a fine point they have only ever been with other humpheads and for the last 8 months they have been in separate tanks with a female each so my question is, is there a short fin variety and a long fin variety or is one a deformity ,just curious as I would like to breed the true form if there is one,i must say I prefer my short fin male more he has the staunch don't mess with me look the long fin one looks like a bit wimpy with his long flowing tail but still looks good,both females look the same with there dorsal fins being sort of in between the males for length,very interested to hear peoples opinions thank you

post-12321-14711632371773_thumb.jpg

post-12321-14711632371916_thumb.jpg

I don't think it's a deformity, most likely will still grow or in most cases most fish have slightly different characteristics, they're all slightly different. Also you mentioned that you have separated a male & female into there own separate tanks, have they actually paired up? Cause if they haven't your better off keeping all your Humpheads together until they pair up themselves. Let me know if you have any other questions, I used to breed them.

Cheers

Jeridre

I don't think it's a deformity, most likely will still grow or in most cases most fish have slightly different characteristics, they're all slightly different. Also you mentioned that you have separated a male & female into there own separate tanks, have they actually paired up? Cause if they haven't your better off keeping all your Humpheads together until they pair up themselves. Let me know if you have any other questions, I used to breed them.

Cheers

Jeridre

sorry I have 2 pairs in 1 pair in its own tank

Sign in to follow this