mag-98

Mouth Almighty,*Glossamia aprion

Mouth Almighty,*Glossamia aprion

GlossamiaAprionMaleGlynnAland.jpg

If anyone has any contacts or knows of anyone who has any information on this species can you please let me know.

I have set up an aquarium for the sole purpose of displaying this species but after numerous attempts have not been able to source any.

My tank is looking very empty 

2014-09-28102302.jpg

There are two sub-species of Mouth Almighty - a southern and northern variety. Southern variety has more olive / yellow on face - northern is far darker and more mottled. As others have noted above this species used to be common in Brisbane River catchment. It is now extremely rare - possibly extinct in Brisbane River itself caused by both natural and man made factors. Tilapia are a threat to this species. Yes the 2011 floods played a big role - Mouth Almighty can not fight currents the way Perch etc., can. In Gladstone the species is also scarce compared to 10 years ago when they were common. I actually believe the southern species may be in serious peril and possibly needs to be listed on CITIES. These fish are mouth brooders as mentioned above. They are ambush predators meaning they lie motionless in aquatic vegetation and pounce on unsuspecting prey. They eat copious amounts of food - their mouth is huge when distended. They eat shrimp, fish, larger aquatic insects. They can eat fish nearly their own length! Some captive specimans will take pellets - many will not. If you buy some through a pet shop they will almost certainly be the northern variety not the southern. Very attractive in aquariums - ideal for a species tank. Salinity plays a factor in breeding. Fry are difficult to raise. Ideal pH 7.8 hardness 200 - 300ppm - any other info pm me. Cheers

P.S for those interested I will be putting together a book on native fish in the not too distant future - focusing on brackish water fish as well as freshwater for both the aquarium trade and conservation protection. If anyone has exceptional quality photographs on native fish that have not previously been published please let me know.

Edited by none

Great information, thanks.

I wonder how far above wivenhoe they go. There would have been plenty of safe areas in the dams for them to survive the floods.

Will go for a snorkel up that way in October. I suppose if they are around they will start being more active from now leading into the warmer months.

I would prefer northern species or purchased from aquarium mainly due to the low survival rate of wild caught ones and current low numbers.

I finally managed to track down a licensed collector up north who sent me 9 young mouth almighties. I introduced them to my tank last night. One looked dead upon delivery, but has appeared to come good. I'll see how he goes over the next few days.

I will probably sell a few in a couple of months if anyone is interested as I was really only after 5.

2014-10-24183251.jpg

Edited by mag-98

These guys are everything I was hoping for.

I thought they would be very timid coming from the wild, but some come up to you in the glass.

Very active feeders when I put the moon light on.

I cant believe they're not more popular. They are aggressive feeders like jacks and barra but only grow a fraction of the size.

I have to share some photos.

2014-10-24184216.jpg

2014-10-24183428.jpg

2014-10-24183646-1.jpg

DSC_1732.jpg

These guys are everything I was hoping for.

I thought they would be very timid coming from the wild, but some come up to you in the glass.

Very active feeders when I put the moon light on.

I cant believe they're not more popular. They are aggressive feeders like jacks and barra but only grow a fraction of the size.

I have to share some photos.

They actually were quite popular years ago when they were more widely available. Like all natives like this when they were bred people didn't want to pay the money they were worth so they stopped being bred. Expensive fry to raise due to live food requirement, huge appetite and the fact they cannibilise each other. You would be advised to remove those Hardyheads - otherwise you may find they will nip the fins of the Mouth Almighty. While MA are ambush predators - they are NOT aggressive and when picked on often deteriorate very quickly...

Yeah good advice. I did notice that the little firetail gudgeons occasionally nip at fins of MA and bullrout during the day. I put in a few larger pellets and algae wafers and the hardyheads seem to enjoy nipping at those and haven't seen them annoy the other fish.

It's the reverse at night with all the hardyheads, glassfish and blue eyes balled up in a tight school with the MA circling.

Great. Now what?

Should I let them hatch, then remove them into my community tank?

Just concerned that if I leave them here my turtle will try and eat the eggs. My community tank has gudgeons that are bound to eat them too.

DSC_2107.jpg

2014-12-10200116.png

DSC_2109.jpg