mag-98

Mouth Almighty,*Glossamia aprion

One week to go and should be hatching.

There is another one that looks like she's bursting at the seams but nothing has happened yet.

Strangley enough I've borrowed a little tank from a lunatic mate that is already cycled.

Should I put him in now? I was thinking perhaps this coming weekend.

now i see why they call them mouth almighty. i just thought it was because they smashed fish way too big for their size, now i see its because of breeding.

How many eggs can they hold?

Good luck with them and keep us posted with their progress.

now i see why they call them mouth almighty. i just thought it was because they smashed fish way too big for their size, now i see its because of breeding.

How many eggs can they hold?

Good luck with them and keep us posted with their progress.

They can hold a huge number of eggs. It differs with size as with Africans but even at smaller size 80 -120. Getting them to breed is easy. Raising the fry to sellable size and then selling them at a price to cover the food - that's another matter entirely..

Yes this is definately a learning experience. Very shocked they bred so quickly in the first place.

I have a little feeder fish in the tank for when he releases them and is looking for a feed.

I don't know if they would start the cannibalism immediately or if they understand they are there babies.

These guys won't, but I haven't tried too hard. Happy to feed them live fish and prawns every 2 weeks and frozen prawns and white bait in between live feeds. Also the occasional worm and insects when I attempt to feed the archer fish.

They took a little over three weeks. Too many to count. Ranged in sizes from 2 - 3 mm.

The male didn't eat them or the little hardyhead I put in there with him.

I put small amounts of blood worms and brine shrimp in hoping they would eat that, unfortunately they started disappearing and i found them all in the filter intake with there heads facing out between the vents. That, i assume, would indicate they got sucked in and tried getting out rather than dying and getting sucked in.

The filter is a very weak standard blueplanet one.

Very disappointed to say the least.

However, on the brighter side, tonight I just moved another male with his mouth stuffed full of eggs into the little tank.

So here goes round 2...

In the meantime here are some more pics of these beautiful fish.

DSC_2182.jpg

DSC_2184.jpg

DSC_2173.jpg

Nothing better than those full sexy boy displays. =) I have 4, one girl and 3 boys. Northern ones as well, minus one local caught male (smaller).

Male #1 is on his third batch, 1st I pulled on day 1 to tumble; went fuzzy.

2nd I pulled at 8 days, 1/2 developed....went fuzzy.

Looks like they definitely need to stay in dad's mouth; not as tough as cichlids or other mouth brooder eggs. 3rd batch now is at 16 days. Better fry saver ordered and hopefully we'll have luck this time.

Nothing better than those full sexy boy displays. =) I have 4, one girl and 3 boys. Northern ones as well, minus one local caught male (smaller).

Male #1 is on his third batch, 1st I pulled on day 1 to tumble; went fuzzy.

2nd I pulled at 8 days, 1/2 developed....went fuzzy.

Looks like they definitely need to stay in dad's mouth; not as tough as cichlids or other mouth brooder eggs. 3rd batch now is at 16 days. Better fry saver ordered and hopefully we'll have luck this time.

They don't need to stay in the mouth they can be removed but little point. You'd never remove eggs on day 1 - that is just asking for problems. Ditto at 8 days. If you want to remove them remove them at 2 weeks. A very easy fish to breed but raising the fry is hard. Problem is it costs so much to feed them that you don't recover the money when you sell them. Hence There are no longer captive bred Mouthos on the market.

I just re-examined the little tank. I still have two fry from the previous attempt. One is approx 5mm the other is 2 - 3 mm. They have their little bands already. Very obviously little mouth almighties.

The eggs this time are cream in colour. Not the orange they were last time.

I'll try and get some photos.

I'll put mesh over the intake to reduce further fatalities.

[MENTION=8516]none[/MENTION], I'm sure the novelty will wear off, until then we're enjoying this unique experience. Like anything else to do with the aquarium industry, there is very little profit but lots of enjoyment. Just hoping to keep them alive to watch them grow. Very exciting for us newbies.

If you want to try and keep a few alive put them in a large well established outdoor pond that gets at least a few hours of direct sunlight with Elodea, sand substrate and no other fish. The micro foods they require can not be replicated with things like bloodworm. A Well established pond may have enough food to enable a few of them to survive and grow. To try and raise them in a tank is very difficult - although can be done.

I have some live vinegar eel that might be small enough if you want some? Infusoria cultures are also very easy provided you stagger them so you always have a ready supply at peak population.

You need to get live food cultures ready before they are needed. That's why artemia is so convenient.

Instant Artemia is simply decapsulated Artemia. I can mail you some next time I make a batch.

If your keen to raise babies, I'm also happy to get them onto first foods for you. You would have to give me a weeks notice and drop them off as eggs though. Im able to incubate delicate eggs. Or ask anyone who raises rainbow fish fry successfully. They would be of similar size.

Once they are

Hey thanks for the offer and help.

I'm keen to try some if they hatch. Just trying some first foods style pellets ATM.

Strange thing has occurred, he's spat some of the eggs in two piles. Appears some are still in his mouth though.

Dry first foods are almost certain to fail as new born fish haven't learnt to eat. Live food is instinctive and doesn't foul water when you overfeed. Look up infusoria as it's a fish skill well worth learning.

If you want to artificially incubate, the ziss tumblers are excellent - http://www.zissaqua.com/xe/

On delicate eggs, don't let the eggs move/bruise, just have steady water flow and a pinch of live black worms in the tumbler to move fish embryos from settling/sticking to egg wall.

Edited by aquaholic99

Have a grindle worm colony going, and split it out into three containers tonight. Even if the MA bubs wont eat them, I'll have plenty for everyone else. =)

Dn delicate eggs, don't let the eggs move/bruise, just have steady water flow and a pinch of live black worms in the tumbler to move fish embryos from settling/sticking to egg wall.

Given the infestations of parasites often associated with black worms I would strongly advise against that.

[MENTION=2772]rosequoll[/MENTION] and [MENTION=7021]Aqua[/MENTION]holic99 I would love some to try. Just need to make sure these guys hatch first.

New development:

More eggs! Another male is holding.

Must be an ideal environment for them. I have 4gm salt per litre and have rearranged the landscape with a new mangrove tree and only have val at the back. With the tannins leaking it makes it look like very real brackish environment.