mag-98

Mouth Almighty,*Glossamia aprion

Picture may be hard to see but there's about 120-130 fry, 1/2 free swimming and 1/2 still hanging at the bottom.

post-2772-14711633005383_thumb.jpg

Edited by rosequoll

There's about 120 from Rose and I'll have a couple of hundred lol

Btw, they ate their new hatched brine shrimp with gusto; no issues there. Now to hatch brineshrimp non-stop until I dream about brine shrimp.

Definitely tedious. I have one hatcher I purchased, the other is a Sera hatcher kit hooked up to a 1.2 litre water bottle. I have a 5 litre bottle of salt water mixed up for water changes. Using marine salt; wont get anywhere fast with rock salt. I've fed them twice tonight already and they're chomping non-stop. Going to try mixing some fine powdered food in to the feed tomorrow night and see if they'll start taking some powdered as well. If not, no harm, but worth a try to get this batch onto non-live.

Uploading some videos now of them eating. =)

You won't need to hatch Artemia if you decapsulated the cysts. Now that they know what Artemia is, they will eat unhatched. Or you could buy frozen baby brine shrimp which are the cysts decapsulated for you.

If you make/buy a fine seive you can just pour the Artemia through to harvest. A silk handkerchief or satin off cut will do.

Vinegar eel is also super easy to culture and is free. Use sieve for these too.

I don't mind hatching, for now, but I may start mixing in frozen baby brine in small amounts to see if I can get them eating non-live. Rather hatch forever than risk losing fry.

If you stagger start your Artemia batches, you will be able to harvest when Artemia has just hatched and smallest (early instar is the most nutritious) as well as safe guard against a batch not hatching. I use 3 hatchers - starting a new one every 12 hours but you could use just 2 hatchers. (Hatching one while your robbing the other).

Primo Aquaculture make an Artemia replacement food for fry (NRD) that is fairly good but pretty expensive unless you bulk purchase.

When they are a week old & a bit bigger, you can just use a high quality flake & pepper grinder.

Wont eat flake but will eat some froz cyclops and such. Losing some fry now, not sure why, but hopefully have it under control soon.

Male has another mouthful; they spawned mid waterchange last night. =)

If anyone is liking these guys, I'll be putting my two spare males up for sale, a northern male and a southern (smaller) male. Both healthy and eat well.