I am trying to cut down on some maintenance in a display tank, any help would be great guys/gals!

Size: 5x2x2

Substrate: Gravel

Filter: FX6

Fish: Malawi Cichlids

Decor: Texas Holy Rock

What I wanted to do is keep particles from settling on the bottom and push it towards the intake.

A UGJ setup would work but I don't really want something they can dig up.

I was thinking of putting in a circulator or wave maker.

Should I use a powerful wave maker, to get around having multiple circulator's as would be required with all the holy rock?

Any suggestions on LPH considering my tank size and decor?

How much flow is too much flow for the fish?

[MENTION=1338]The Tech Den[/MENTION]

I have been looking into your Tunze range.

If anyone is using a similar set-up, let us know the specifics and a recommendation of Less/More flow etc.

thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan, The Tunze are great and have been using them for years myself and a great way of getting the extra circulation with the nanostreams and the E-Jets would also do a good job. Another one worth looking at would be the Aquael 10,000lph if you wanted a unit to have lots of flow. The reason I mention the Aquael is that it has a controller so you can adjust the flow as well.

I have found it handy using air bars as well to help with the circulation and gives a nice effect in tanks but you do not want it too close to the intake of the FX6.

Aquael Reef Circulator 10,000

108878-3.jpg

Each person has their own set of values when it comes to filtration. I prefer to siphon the gravel clean as I water change and try to keep my canisters as clean as possible. Mine only get cleaned when flow rate slows which can be once every 2 years or more. Others prefer to physically stir up the gravel a few hours before they have to clean their canisters.

If your objective is to keep your gravel from catching dirt then I would use reverse undergravel filtration. Pump water up through the gravel. You will still get good biological filtration this way.

Your right [MENTION=470]aquaholic99[/MENTION] , everyone's maintenance is different. I clean my FX6 every 3 months and have yet to experience any flow issues.

As to the reason why I don't just clean it out with the water change, it's because of my brilliant idea to put down white aquarium gravel.

It really shows up nls poop and I get all twitchy when I see it fouled.

Undergravel may well be a good idea, but I'm going to have to give the aquael a go seeing as I bought it lol.

[MENTION=9246]Donny@ageofaquariums[/MENTION] does the aquael do you any favours re: substrate cleaning, and do your fish mind the current? What size tank have you got this beast in?

thanks for the input aquaholic/Donny

Dan

My tank is an 8X2.5x2.5

I currently have

~3 of the fx5 filters on it.

~1 of the aquael 10,000lph circulators

~1 old dodgy 5,000lph wave maker.

I have no ornaments really in that tank.

Just white sand

and yea it stays very clean.

Clean the 3 canisters every 6 months or so.

Its all about making complex water movement using multiple sources. You want to carry debris towards filter intakes. Takes a while to really get your filters in the right spots, and outputs angled to help each other.

My tank is an 8X2.5x2.5

I currently have

~3 of the fx5 filters on it.

~1 of the aquael 10,000lph circulators

~1 old dodgy 5,000lph wave maker.

I have no ornaments really in that tank.

Just white sand

and yea it stays very clean.

Clean the 3 canisters every 6 months or so.

Its all about making complex water movement using multiple sources. You want to carry debris towards filter intakes. Takes a while to really get your filters in the right spots, and outputs angled to help each other.

Overkill much lol. I would have thought that one fx5 would do the job.

Cheers mick