Allboutthebass

My first friend!!

Hey all,

Just like to say I went and brought my first friend.

He/she is a red tiger Oscar and talk about a stunning fish.

He/she is in a 3 foot tank with plenty of room and hiding places.

When I get a chance I'll put pics up.

Question though. How long do I wait to feed the little fella?

Thanks

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Give him no more than he can eat in 5 mins, and feed twice a day. He will beg for food as all americans do but don't get suckered in to much. Americans tend to over eat and get fat. You will be able to figure out how much to feed him by using this guide, remember they have little tummys.

Thank you :)

So he seems to be settling in really well. As he/she has a 3 foot tank to itself. It doesn't seemed to be too worried about me (my tank is in my room). Do I feed the little tacker tonight or wait till tomorrow? It keeps swimming to the surface and crushing around up there and going back down.

Hi

Do you understand how to cycle a tank?

Before you add fish you need to build enough bacteria to look after the nitrogen cycle

Ammonia>nitrite>nitrate

Ammonia and nitrite are poisonous to fish....nitrate isn't

Look add adding some bacteria to the tank to speed up the cycle....see your LFS

Don't add any more fish for a few weeks

Yeah I've cycled the tank. And I added some water from the my goldfish tank into my big tank. I went to my LFS and the lady there said add about half of the water from the golf fish tank ( which is 1foot) and add it to my tank (3foot). So I've done that. And the fish is quite happy exploring. At the moment

Sorry about suggesting the lfs....they obviously aren't up to speed

Most shops sell bacteria to speed up the cycle....one is called "Cycle"

Adding water from another tank doesn't cycle it.....if you have filtration on the Gold fish tank

squeeze some waste from the filter into the tank....this will seed it with some bacteria

Don't worry if it's dirty water....it will soon get trapped in filter

If you fish goes to the surface gasping for air it's ill be a sign of ammonia/nitrite poisoning

will take a few days for ammonia to build

Search this site for cycling a tank...;)

Edited by Rod

Ok here's what's happened and what I've got.

So the tank was running about a week before I got the little fella, I've filled it with freshwater sand, river rocks , drift wood and a little bit of algae, and I collected all that from the river near my place. I filled the tank with tank water. As I don't live in town. When the tank was nearly full I put some water ager in there.

And as I said the tank ran for about a week. Before going to the pet store in the afternoon I put the heater on to 24 and I was thinking about getting some small fish to start it off. So whilst I was at the pet store I brought a new 30w 36in sun lamp tube, a thermometer, and I've brought frozen cichlids food for the little guy.

I set up the tank and put all the dirty remains of the gold fish in the tank and placed the thermometer and put in the new light whilst waiting for it to cycle abit. I gave it an hour and half to two hours. And put the bag the Oscar was in into the water and left him for half hour. After that I opened the bag. And slowly poured him in. He sulked for about 5 to 10 mins then was cruising around the tank.

I've just come home from work and he seems fine. Really friendly, he's eating well, eats it all up.

Tank temp is 27 degrees. And at night it's goes to around 25.

Please tell me if I'm doing anything wrong. Thank you all

Oscars will usually survive any mistakes you may have made in the set up, I wouldn't be too worried if I was you unless he starts to look unhappy.

I would just also like to say I disagree with Lictoga about the not feeding when he's hungry.

If he wants food, there's no harm in giving it to him as long as it's a healthy staple food, there's nothing wrong with a nice fat, healthy Oscar!

Yeah well I thought I did alright in the setup. Yeah I probably made a few mistakes. But the little fella seems real happy. Cruising around the tank. Chasing some bubbles (is that normal?). Yeah well I've Brought a cichlids mix that is frozen, it's made up of blood worms, shrimp, and some veggies.

Oscars don't really need veggies in their diet and I'd even go so far as to say too much could be bad for them.

Try to get him onto a cheap dry koi pellet and mix it with some other goodies like prawn and fish, that way when he's eating a kg a day it won't be so costly for you.

Yeah but as I've read if they get too much protein they'll get a thing called "hole in the head" which is where the tissue starts to form holes in its head. But yes I agree I'll have to find something that I can feed it for a cheaper alternative when it gets big.