Hey all.

Here's another question.

What would the best cycle period for a 3foot tank that had a fish in it for a week. (Now pass away) as I'm looking at putting a cray fish in there.

I've done a 50% water change since then,

And I've tested the ph ( which is 7.0ph)

It's got two pieces of drift wood in it, river rocks and river sand.

Thanks

From allboutthebass

Hi buddy, there is no set time for a cycle period. Tank is cycled once the tank water is tested and you have an ammonia reading of zero, nitrite reading of zero, and you will start to get a reading of some nitrates.

This could be 3 weeks, it could be a bit longer. You can add some chemicals to speed the process up a bit, but talk to you local aquarium guy. Patience is the key to success and not losing your new aquatic friends by adding them to early.

Get yourself a test kit that tests ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, personally we do not worry to much about ph, as after testing it for a few years, it never changed that much.

Unless your water is extreme one way or the other or you plan to breed, keep specific species, I don't see a need to add more buffers to the water, this just increases the risks of getting massive swings in ph, which none of our aquatic friends like. Your water is fine at 7.0 at the moment. It would be good to monitor your ph after you change your water for a while to see if you get any fluctuations from your water source, be it tank or mains supply, it can change depending on what the water board add occasionally.

A bit of a Google and I found this link Tips for Cycling Your New Aquarium - The First Tank Guide - Getting Your Fish Tank Up and Running with Minimal Headaches give it a read and hope it helps.

Cheers

Edited by Davo888

What filter are you using mate?

Im no guru but what I would do is (assuming there are no fish in the tank)

1: turn the heater right up (32° - 34°) promoting bacteria growth.

2: continue to put food in the tank as if you were feeding your oscar (uneaten fish food becomes your tanks source of ammonia)

3: continue to test your water paremeters daily

4: even once ammonia and nitrites are not detected - I would continue to add food.

Once you can turn a positive ammonia reading to a negative ammonia reading within a 24hr period then I would start to add fish or in your case the cray.

Dont forget to turn the heater back down.

1500 lpm shouldnt be too much for a 3ft tank.

Do as above but get your hands on a test kit from your local fish store.

And maybe get some stability while your there and add that as per instructions.

Id be guessing another 2 - 3 weeks to cycle your tank but without a test kit you wont know.

Ok thanks. Cause the tank was fairly flowing. But After some playing with it I've figured out I can move the nozzle to face different directions.

Yeah I'll try and get one off line. I might be able to order one from the tech den. Get it delivered. Ok. Cause it was cycled for almost a week before I got my fish. Then I had the fish for a about 4 days before passing. Will having a fish in there whilst cycling affect it? If so, in a good or bad way?

From allboutthebass