Tests can be very confusing. Different kits give contrasting results, some can be inaccurate.

I've given up testing many years ago,

as results can change from day to day and one tends to panic.

Just look at your tank and observe it's inhabitants. As long as they're happy, all is well.

Although you will always need some sort of filtration. I found canisters best for planted tanks.

test and record...... that way you can find trend data.

This lets you build a dosing/waterchange regime that is as efficient as possible.

But it still requires testing as not only is it a dynamic system, but the in put/ out put is constantly changing as fish grow/die and plants go through growth cycles.

An expert gardener can spot nutritional deficiencies and dose accordingly...... but for that you need to gather experience first!

If test are varying or giving contrasting results, ur probably doing something wrong or ur tank is unstable. Test kit will detect a problem before it an issue or causing ur fish to stress. By the time u notice fish are unhappy can be too late to fix the problem. As Donny suggested keep records and u'll see trends and changes, esp in this situation where ur experimenting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could be well off the mark with this one, but I think there are a number of other benefits to having a filtration system. The most important (possibly more-so in a planted tank?) would be the circulation of water / water currents. Unless you're going to introduce a wavemaker (which would defeat the purpose entirely) I would hedge a bet that there will be a few problems from the water essentially just sitting there without movement. But I could very well be wrong!

I could be well off the mark with this one, but I think there are a number of other benefits to having a filtration system. The most important (possibly more-so in a planted tank?) would be the circulation of water / water currents. Unless you're going to introduce a wavemaker (which would defeat the purpose entirely) I would hedge a bet that there will be a few problems from the water essentially just sitting there without movement. But I could very well be wrong!

g of dropping some airstones in there and then i thought what's the point in taking the sponge filters out that you can't even see because of the black background so i think i will just leave them in since they are not noticeable

I ordered 2 10watt led floodlights off ebay and I will say I was a bit sceptical on how they will perform, plants are going great and only after a week my crypts are all shooting plantlets and other plants have grown noticeably larger.

Do you have any photos? My 10W flood light just arrived this week. Trying to light a tank 20" deep. Not sure if it'll do the job. I am planning to run a low tech setup for low light plants. How do you mount the lights? Trying to get ideas on how others have done it successfully. Thanks!

I just built a simply timber frame to screw the lights too, for some reason i have been trying to post pics recently but they don't seem to be working, the lightscwirk fantastic as long as you have the correct colour temp mine are 6500k cool white and im getting crypt shoots coming up off all my plants and they have only been on a week, very impressed, i have mine mounted 8cm above the tank because i had them sitting on the glass but wasn't getting the coverage i wanted. As for lighting a 20' tank i couldn't say whether 10 watt would be sufficient that would come from your own experimentation, also you need to consider how long your tank is too because floodlights give a narrower beam than fluorescent lights obviously because the project light not glow if you follow what i mean so you will need several, i have 2 for my 600 long