Sign in to follow this  
martib

Breeding black gost knife fish ???

Don't know if its still around but pandapete had some video of fry feeding about 8 years back.He was pumping them out.Had the biggest boy I'd ever seen and was missing about 1 to1 1/2 inches off its tail.

I read an article a while back about them being bred in Indonesia.... If I can find it again I'll send the link.

there is some papers with clues.

This study was conducted at Jl. Griausada no. 49 Lawang Malang on 6 March to 6 April 2007 The purpose of this study was to determine the effect of feeding (Artemia salina, Pellets, Tubifex tubifex) on the growth and survival of fish seed Black Ghost (Apteronotus albifrons). The method used experimental methods and experimental design used was a completely randomized design (CRD) with 3 treatments, namely: feeding on Artemia salina treatment A, treatment B pellets, treatment C Tubifex tubifex and each repeated 3 times. The results showed the provision of diets had no effect on survival and effect on growth. In the specific growth rate (SGR), the highest in treatment C Tubifex tubifex feeding of 1.20% bw / day and the lowest in treatment B pellet feeding of 0.41% bw / day. At the highest absolute growth rate in treatment C of feeding Tubifex tubifex grams of 0.2% and the lowest in treatment B feeding pellets of 0.06 grams. The conclusion of the study is the provision of different types of feed (Artemia salina, Pellets, Tubifex tubifex) did not affect the survival rate of fish fingerlings Black Ghost but the effect on the growth of fish seed Black Ghost (Apteronotus albifrons).

And also certainly farms producing BGK

The type of freshwater fish seed produced Vizan Farm include Diskus (Symphysodon sp), Angelfish (Pterophyllum scalare), Blackghost (Apteronotus albifrons), Gold fish (Carrasius auratus), Oscar (Astronotus ocellatus), Platty (Xiphophorus sp. ), Arowana (Scleropages sp.), Tiger barb (Barbus pentazona).

Not commonly bred by hobbyists, though it is reported to be fairly easily spawned. Two obstacles are that the fish must be about half grown before they are sexually mature, and it is difficult to keep two specimens in the same aquarium.

~TFH magazine

Found some gold in the dig ~ ye olde BGK science

So males discharge at lower frequencies than females. *

Theres a novel way to find the gender of your BGK or attempt to setup pairs.

The ghost knifefishes (family Apteronotidae) are one of the most successful and diverse families of electric fish. Like other weakly electric fish, apteronotids produce electric organ discharges (EODs) that function in electrolocation and communication.

or not...........

In contrast, male black ghost knifefish (Apteronotus albifrons) have lower EODfs than females (Dunlap et al., 1998). Furthermore, the strength of the sex difference in EODf varies across A. albifrons populations. In A. albifrons populations from the Orinoco river system, male EODfs are ~200 Hz lower than female EODfs, and EODf overlaps little between the sexes. In contrast, sex differences in EODf in Amazonian populations of A. albifrons are modest (~50 Hz), with more extensive overlap between the sexes (Ho et al., 2013).

T2.medium.gif

Evolution and hormonal regulation of sex differences in the electrocommunication behavior of ghost knifefishes (Apteronotidae)

I have 6 in a 6foot tank and only two kinda get narky with each other. Maybe I should be reading this more indepth. Don't know how to sex them, for all I know I could have all boys or all girls.

Sign in to follow this